If you’re interested in applying for our Ph.D. program at the School of Information Science, here’s what you will need:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in this country, or its equivalent from a foreign institution. Applicants will also possess a master's degree or equivalent from an institution of recognized standing.
- Official academic transcripts from all colleges and universities - whether or not you earned a degree.
- Graduate School application form and application fee. You must apply online.
- The supplemental application, which includes writing an essay responding to the statements on the application. It is available through the online application.
- A grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Three letters of recommendation. Letters should evaluate your undergraduate or graduate academic performance or your job performance. Letters from friends and relatives about your personal attributes will not be accepted. If you have questions, call the admissions coordinator at 803-777-3887 for guidance.
- International applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit a satisfactory score on the TOEFL or the IELTS International Academic Course Type 2 exam. A TOEFL score of at least 570 on the paper-based test or 80 on the internet-based test is required, or an IELTS score of at least 6.5.
- Resumé showing educational and professional experience.
Our students also have to be interviewed by a doctoral committee.
More details are available in our doctoral handbook (pdf).