The Master of Human Resources Accelerated program allows high-achieving USC-Columbia students to complete their undergraduate business degree and the MHR degree in as few as four years. The Accelerated program option is currently available for undergraduate business majors, that meet qualifying factors. Students will need to consult with their academic advisor to design a specialized plan to participate in this program.
- Finish in less time
- Reduce tuition costs
- Waive the GRE/GMAT requirement for a graduate school application
- Use undergraduate scholarship to pay for up to 25 percent of the MHR degree
- Earn undergraduate and masters degree in 4.5 years instead of 5.5 years
To qualify for the MHR Accelerated program, you must:
- Have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.4
- Be on track to graduate December of your fourth (senior) year
- Have completed two internships before your fourth (senior) year
- Be hardworking, driven and have a strong desire to accelerate your career
Follow these steps to participate in the Accelerated program:
- Meet the program eligibility requirements listed in the Eligibility section above.
- Meet with your academic advisor to design an undergraduate study program that incorporates MHR courses.
- Apply to the MHR program and consult with MHR staff to confirm the availability and sequencing for your courses.
- Confirm your MHR enrollment and follow up with MHR program staff to submit the appropriate Accelerated paperwork at the beginning of the term in which you are taking classes you want to “double count.”
Please note that speaking with your advisor, speaking with MIB staff and applying to the MHR is a simultaneous process. The earlier you start this process, the better. While we cannot guarantee admission, meeting the aforementioned eligibility requirements makes for a strong MHR application.
Even if you are not admitted to the MHR, by working with your advisor, you can assure that the courses will still count towards your undergraduate program so that there is no negative impact on your studies.
Classes to “Double Count”
No more than four classes at the 500- and 700-level can count toward both your undergraduate and graduate degrees. It is important that students take the MHR core courses as part of those they are double counting; otherwise the MHR cannot be completed on an Accelerated basis (these core courses are only offered once a year).
Applying to the Accelerated program requires the same steps as applying to the MHR program. You will complete the online MHR application and include the documents:
- Current resume
- Statement of purpose (essay)
- Two letters of recommendation (one must be a business professor)
You may apply as soon as the Fall before the year you would start (generally your third year). Before applying, you should meet with your academic advisor to confirm your eligibility. You should save your business electives for your last undergrad semester, as the MHR classes you take will double count as these classes. After confirming your eligibility, you must meet with the MHR Director as well to confirm the internships you have completed are applicable. All accelerated applicants must complete an interview with MHR faculty (to be scheduled by the director).
Authorization to begin the Accelerated program is approved by the Graduate School, so the paperwork for this should be completed during the fall term. This paperwork cannot be submitted retroactively, so it is vital to begin speaking with your advisor as soon as possible.