S. Alan Medlin
|Title:||David W. Robinson Professor of Law
|School of Law|
1525 Senate Street
S. Alan Medlin is the David W. Robinson Professor of Law at the University of South Carolina School of Law. Since 1984, he has taught courses in Trusts and Estates, Fiduciary Administration, Property, Real Estate Finance, Real Estate Transactions I, Real Estate Transactions II, Professional Responsibility, Advanced Professional Responsibility, Fundamentals of Law Practice and Professionalism, Law Practice Workshop, and Wills, Trusts and Estates. Since 1989, he has co-authored and co-edited, along with Professor Lad Boyle and Howard Zaritsky, the Probate Practice Reporter, a monthly publication distributed nationally. He has served as editor-in-chief, resident editor, and associate editor of the American Bar Association’s Real Property, Trust and Estate Journal, the scholarly journal of the ABA’s Real Property, Trust and Estate section; he also served on the editorial board of Probate and Property magazine, the bi-monthly magazine of the ABA’s Real Property, Trust and Estate section.
He has published two books, several book chapters, and approximately 150 articles, and he has made over 160 presentations to regional and national audiences in the areas of legal ethics, estate planning, probate, and real estate law. He is an Academic Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel and is a former chair of the Board Governing Certified Specialists in Estate Planning and Probate for South Carolina. Professor Medlin has been named Outstanding Law Faculty Teacher seven times. He is a recipient of the South Carolina Compleat Lawyer Award and is an honorary member of the South Carolina Association of Probate Judges. He received the 2004 Treat Award recognizing excellence from the National College of Probate Judges. He is a former Chair of the Real Estate Practices Section of the South Carolina Bar. He has served as Reporter for the South Carolina Trust Code, the South Carolina Uniform Power of Attorney Act, and several revisions to the South Carolina Probate Code.
- J.D. (1979) University of South Carolina
- B.A. (1976) University of South Carolina
- Wills, Trusts & Estates (LAWS 641)
- Fiduciary Administration (LAWS 647)
- Issues 1 through 320 (as of July 2015) of the Probate Practice Reporter, co-author (with Zaritsky) and co-editor (with Boyle and Zaritsky)
- Probate Practice Reporter, “Elvis is Still in the Building — That Is, The Courthouse Building”, Vol. 27, No. 5
- “The South Carolina Probate Code Patched and Refurbished: Version 2013”, 65 S.C. L. Rev. 81 (2013)
- Probate Practice Reporter, “A Review of Drafter Malpractice”, Vol. 26, No. 12
- Probate Practice Reporter, “Environmental Liability Update: Concerns for Beneficiaries Remain”, Vol. 26, No. 9