|Title:||Professor of Law
|School of Law|
1525 Senate Street
Professor Means graduated cum laude from Dartmouth College and magna cum laude from Michigan Law School. He was an articles editor for the Michigan Law Review.
After law school, Professor Means served as a law clerk to the Honorable Rosemary Pooler of the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Before joining the faculty at the University of South Carolina School of Law, he practiced law at Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP and Satterlee Stephens Burke & Burke LLP, both in New York City, representing clients in matters of corporate law and litigation.
In his scholarship, Professor Means focuses on the governance of closely held business organizations. He is particularly interested in family owned businesses. His work has been selected for publication in journals including the Emory Law Journal, The Georgetown Law Journal, the Vanderbilt Law Review, the Washington University Law Review, and the William & Mary Law Review. One of his articles was also selected for presentation at the Junior Faculty Forum co-sponsored by Harvard, Stanford, and Yale law schools.
He is a member of the executive committee for the AALS Section on Business Associations and past chair of the AALS Section on Agency, Partnership, LLCs, and Unincorporated Business Associations.
- Business Associations (LAWS 609)
- Family Business Law (LAWS 603)
- Contracts (LAWS 504)
- Liberty Seminar (LAWS 668)
- Mergers & Acquisitions (LAWS 774)
- The Value of Insider Control, 60 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. (forthcoming 2019)
- The Political Economy of Corporate Exit, 71 Vand. L. Rev. 1293 (2018) (with Susan Kuo)
- The Cambridge Handbook of Social Enterprise Law, (co-editor Joseph Yockey) (Cambridge University Press, forthcoming 2018) [Learn More]
- Collective Coercion, 57 B.C. L. Rev. 1599 (2016) (with Susan Kuo)
- Wealth Inequality and Family Businesses, 65 Emory L.J. 937 (2016)
- The Contractual Foundation of Family-Business Law, 75 Ohio St. L.J. 675 (2014)
- Nonmarket Values in Family Businesses, 54 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 1185 (2013)