Skip to Content

College of Education

Student Academic Grievance Policy

  1. The grievance policy of the College of Education follows the procedures set forth in University policy STAF 6.30 [pdf] as well as those applicable guidelines found in the Faculty Manual [pdf].

  2. The basis of a student academic grievance shall be an alleged violation of the teaching responsibility policies as contained in the Faculty Manual [pdf] or an alleged violation of rights described in STAF 6.28 [pdf]. A student academic grievance is not considered to extend to matters of grading student work where the substance of the complaint is simply the student's disagreement with the mark or grade placed on his or her work. Such matters are to be discussed by a student and the teacher; final authority shall remain with the teacher.

  3. A student who wishes to bring an academic grievance within the College should first seek resolution with the faculty member in question. If no satisfactory resolution is achieved, the student may pursue the matter further with the department chair. If not satisfied, the student may seek resolution with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, the designated person in the Dean's Office to hear such concerns. The student's appeal to the Associate Dean must be in writing as directed by the Associate Dean's Office (i.e. specifications for electronic or paper submission may be required).

  4. The College Student Affairs Committee serves as the student grievance committee for the College of Education and will hear a complaint only after the administrative procedures outlined in paragraph three have been exhausted and upon request from the student or faculty member concerned. The request must be submitted in writing through the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. The make-up of the College Student Affairs Committee is outlined in the College of Education by-laws and includes two students. An undergraduate student will be on the committee when hearing a grievance brought by an undergraduate student and a graduate student will be on the committee when hearing a grievance brought by a graduate student. In cases when the full committee is not available, the committee to hear a grievance will be comprised of at least three members of the College Student Affairs Committee and must include at least one undergraduate or graduate student depending on the level of the student brining the grievance.

  5. In accordance with University policy STAF 6.30 [pdf], the Dean of the College will not serve on the grievance committee.

  6. The Committee will follow specific procedures for the hearing that have been approved by the College of Education Student Affairs Committee.

  7. A faculty member who feels that he or she has been aggrieved as a result of the student grievance proceeding has the right to appear before a Faculty Grievance committee to present his or her case.