Revised April 22, 2016
CITEP advises support offices, the Deans’ Executive Council, and others related to University of South Carolina policies and procedures relevant to all initial teacher certification programs, including:
- Advisement, progression, and certification (e.g., communication with candidates, shared requirements for progression)
- Clinical experiences (e.g., qualifications and training of coaching teachers and supervisors, recognition of school partners, requirements and assessments, placements, assessment of candidate dispositions, withdrawal from internship),
- Candidate knowledge, skills, and dispositions (e.g., core course curriculum)
- State laws and requirements for teacher education programs (e.g., EEDA, ADEPT)
- Accreditation and program reports.
CITEP recommendations are based on program perspectives and review of appropriate EPP data (e.g., surveys of coaching teachers, interns, and supervisors; surveys of graduates, Praxis Data).
CITEP is comprised of at least one representative from each initial teacher certification program area. Program areas with more than one initial certification program may have more than one representative, but are not required to do so. Representatives serve two-year terms which may be repeated as determined by the program area.
Ex-officio members of the Committee for Initial Teacher Education Programs include:
- Assistant Dean for Academic and Student Affairs
- Chair of the Department of Instruction and Teacher Education (or his/her designee)
- Assistant/Associate Dean from the College of Arts and Sciences
- Director of the COE Office of Student Affairs (or her/his designee)
- Director of the COE Office of School-University Partnerships and Clinical Experiences
- Assistant Dean for Accreditation and Professional Preparation
- A district induction coordinator from a local school district
- An administrator representing a Professional Development School
- A graduate of an initial licensure program who has performed with distinction
The committee is co-chaired by the College of Education Associate Dean and a program representative elected by the committee. The election is held in the last meeting of each academic year for the following academic year. A staff member from the College of Education serves as secretary as appointed by the Associate Dean. CITEP meets at least once per fall/spring semester and typically meets twice per semester.
For minutes not listed below, please consult the archive [pdf] of past meeting minutes.
2017 minutes will be added as they are archived.