Faculty and Staff
Hengtao Tang, Ph.D.
College of Education
Dual-title Ph.D. in Learning, Design, and Technology & Comparative and International Education, Pennsylvania State University
Hengtao Tang is an Assistant Professor of Educational Technology in the Department of Educational Studies. His research interests focus on self-regulated learning in open online learning environment, especially using learning analytics to understand self-regulated learning process, profile self-regulated learners, and seek for implications on the design of self-regulative interventions. In addition, Hengtao is an Open Educational Resources research fellow of the Open Education Group sponsored by the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation. His works on Open Educational Resources dedicated to reinforcing K-12 educators intention of adopting Open Educational Resources in that setting.
Self-regulated Learning, Learning Analytics, Computer Science Education, Open Educational Resources
Tang, H., Xing, W., & Pei, B. (2019). Time really matters: Understanding the temporal dimension of online learning using educational data mining. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 57 (5), 1326-1347.
Xing, W., Tang, H., & Pei, B. (2019). Beyond positive and negative emotions: Looking into the role of achievement emotions in discussion forums of MOOCs. The Internet and Higher Education, 43, 100690.
Tang, H., Xing, W., & Pei, B. (2018). Exploring the temporal dimension of forum participation in MOOCs. Distance Education, 39(3), 353-372.
Tang, H. & Clariana, R. (2017). Leveraging a sorting task as a measure of knowledge structure in bilingual settings. Technology, Knowledge, and Learning, 22(1), 23–35
Tang, H., & Carr-Chellman, A. (2016). Massive Open Online Courses and educational equality in China: A qualitative inquiry. Journal of Educational Technology Development and Exchange, 9(1), 49-66.
- Division C Graduate Student Seminar (2018), American Educational Research Association (AERA).
- Legacy Scholarship (2017), Association for Educational Communication and Technology (AECT).
- Early Career Mentoring Program (2017), Design and Technology Special Interest Group, AERA.
- National Science Foundation Sponsored Early Career Symposium: Cyberlearning and Future Learning Technologies (2016), AECT.
- McJulien Graduate Student Scholarship Award (2016), ECT Foundation, AECT.
- ICEM Intern (2015), AECT Leadership Development Internship Program, AECT.
- Young Researcher Award sponsored by Springer Publishing (2015), AECT.
- Nova Southeastern University Award for Outstanding Practice by a Graduate Student in Instructional Design (2015), AECT.