Learn from world-renowned scholars and industry experts at one of the top graduate programs in the country. The University of South Carolina's School of Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management is ranked No. 7 in the U.S. and No. 15 in the world for hospitality and tourism management.
On Your Schedule
Flexible curriculum options empower students to earn their degree either on campus or via distance learning and at their own pace. Synchronous distance delivery using Adobe Connect provides remote students with an engaging, interactive classroom experience where they learn in real time with on-campus classmates and professors. Additional asynchronous course options give students the flexibility to complete courses at their convenience.
The degree program includes 33 credit hours of innovative classes covering specialized topics in business analytics, strategic leadership, marketing and social media, customer experience management, talent management and finance. Elective courses and field projects allow students to tailor their degree to their interests, including international learning opportunities. Thesis (research) and non-thesis (professional) tracks are available to match students’ career objectives.
The School of Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Management is home to world-renowned scholars and industry experts at one of the top graduate programs in the country. In addition, the school is home to impactful research centers and institutes, and collectively provides excellent opportunities for students to get involved in research projects:
- South Carolina's only Center of Economic Excellence in Tourism and Economic Development (CoEE)
- International Institute for Foodservice Research and Education
- International Tourism and Research Institute
- Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Travel & Tourism Industry Center
- Culinary and Wine and Beverage Institutes
Spring semester: November 15
Summer session: May 1
Fall Session: July 1
International student deadlines are one month earlier.
Apply at gradschool.sc.edu
All applicants for the MIHTM program must apply through The Graduate School. For more detailed information about the specific degree requirements, please visit the academic bulletin. Prospective students should complete the main application form and pay the $50 application fee online. In addition, applicants must send all supporting material directly to The Graduate School.
The following supporting material is required with the application:
- A current resume.
- A one to two page statement of career objectives that states how the MIHTM curriculum will help the applicant achieve their career objectives.
- At least two letters of recommendation, with at least one from a current or former professor who can comment on the applicant’s ability to succeed in graduate studies. The Letter of Recommendation Form from The Graduate School website may be used but is not required. Letters may be sent directly from recommenders or, if submitted by the applicant, must be submitted in a sealed envelope with the recommender’s signature across the sealed flap.
- One official transcript from each college or university attended (undergraduate and, if applicable, graduate). Successful applicants generally have a GPA of 3.0 or above (on a 4.0 scale).
- Official Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores. Successful applicants generally score at least 500 (verbal and quantitative combined) on the GMAT or at least 300 on the GRE. GMAT/GRE scores more than five years old will not be accepted under any circumstances. The code for submitting GMAT scores is 5818.
- Applicants whose native language is not English must submit TOEFL or IELTS scores. International applicants who have received a degree from a college or university in the United States are not required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS. Test scores are valid for two years only.
For more information, please contact: