Skip to Content


Frequently Asked Questions

Students often have questions about advisement or regarding their academic success. We've compiled some of the most common here to help you.

How do I change my major?

If you wish to change your major within the College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management, you will need to sign up for a new major session. If you want to change majors to another college at the University, you must be accepted by that college. See the dean's office of that college for information on eligibility and requirements.

How do I meet with my advisor?

You can schedule an appointment to meet with your advisor for various reasons at any time.

Where would I find my registration appointment time (time ticket)?

To find your registration appointment time, go to Self Service Carolina and login. Click on the Student button and select the Registration Status link. You must be advised prior to registration. You will not be cleared to register for courses until you are advised.

How do I get an override into a class that is already full?

Overrides into closed courses or those requiring special permission are given only by the professor and/or department offering the course. Students who receive an override or special permission must also complete a registration transaction through the Self Service Carolina web site. Departments do not complete registration transactions for students.

May I take courses at another institution during the summer?

You may take up to eighteen (18) semester hours of courses in transient status provided that (1) you are in good standing, (2) a Special Enrollment Request (AS 30) form must be approved in advance by your academic advisor and assistant dean, and (3) the other institution is fully accredited and the course work meets University specifications for transfer credits. Transient work must be passed with a grade of C or higher. Other restrictions may apply. 

How do I declare a minor?

Once you have declared your major, you may declare a minor by completing a Minor Declaration Form in the Office of Student Services or by emailing your advisor. See the Undergraduate Bulletin for a complete list of available minors.

What do I need to do if I have been placed on SPTE probation?

If you are a SPTE student and your LIFE GPA falls below a 2.75, you will be placed on SPTE probation beginning with the upcoming major semester. You must complete the SPTE Academic Probation Contract and the additional probation requirements outlined in the contract prior to being advised for the upcoming semester. You will not be able to register for courses in the upcoming semester if you have not completed the SPTE Academic Probation Contract and the additional probation requirements. If you have questions regarding your academic status, please contact your academic advisor.

How do I request Grade Forgiveness?

  1. Review the Undergraduate Grade Forgiveness Policy carefully. 
  2. Submit your completed, dated and signed grade forgiveness form to the USC-Columbia Registrar’s Office at 1244 Blossom Street (NOT to your advisor) BEFORE you graduate.

Does the College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management offer scholarships?

Yes, the College of HRSM offers scholarships yearly for incoming freshmen and continuing students. Please check the HRSM website for scholarship and travel scholarship applications.

What do I need to do if I am missing classes due to either a documented illness or family emergency?

Contact the Student Ombudsperson in the Office of Vice President for Student and Alumni Affairs at (803) 777-4172.

How do I apply for graduation?

Effective September 12, 2016, you must apply online through your Self Service Carolina account. Under your Student tab click the Apply to Graduate button. Once you have completed the application, your advisor will be notified. Please note an application submission does not guarantee your approval for candidacy. All students who apply for graduation via a paper or online application will receive a follow up email with their initial approval or disapproval to participate in the commencement activities.

For further information on dates and frequently asked questions about commencement, please visit the Registrar’s website.

Where do I find student forms?

For student forms, visit the Registrar’s forms library.