This 100% online Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) degree is designed to prepare STEM Education leaders across varying educational settings (school, district, and state). Designed to support research-practitioners, this program focuses on investigating problems of practice in STEM Education. As part of the program, candidates will explore theory, history, and concepts within STEM education settings in order to engage in research of practice. During the dissertation process, candidates will engage in action research related to STEM Education.
This online program is designed for professional educators who seek to:
- Enhance their knowledge related to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) Education.
- Engage in and learn about action research related to STEM teaching and learning.
- Solve significant problems of practice within educational settings related to STEM fields.
- Engage with faculty at an R1 institution immersed in STEM education and STEM content research.
- Leverage project-based learning (PBL) as a model for STEM practices and complete the South Carolina PBL endorsement.
What will I study?
Courses will explore theories, practice, and research across integrated science, technology, engineering and mathematics curricula. You will learn research methods in STEM education and engage in high-quality action research related to STEM teaching and learning, including:
- Action research methods related to applied teaching and learning
- Current research-based practices for teaching and learning in STEM.
- Current problems of practice related to STEM Education
- Problem-based learning methods
Courses are offered online in a convenient 8-week format.
60 Credit Hours
12 Credit Hour Core
- Introduction to Diversity and the Curriculum
- Advanced Study of Diversity and Curriculum
- Applications of Learning Principles
- Instructional Design and Assessment
24 Credit Hours in the Concentration and Cognate
- EDTE 820 Principles of STEM Integration
- EDTE 731 Integration of Technology and Instruction
- ENCP 605 Principles of Engineering for Teachers
- EDSE 850 Advanced Readings in Science Education
- EDSE 851 Advanced Readings in Mathematics Education
- EDTE 740 - Introduction to Project-based Learning
- EDTE 741 - Applications of Project-based Learning
- EDTE 742 - Practicum in Project-based Learning
12 Credit Hours in Research
- EDRM 801 - Principles and Applications of Educational Research
- EDTE 812 - Research in STEM Education
- EDTE 712 – Action Research in Teaching
- EDTE 713 – Action Research Capstone Seminar
12 Credit Hours in Dissertation Preparation and Writing