Mission of the Ed.S. Program
The Educational Leadership and Policies program will prepare you for a variety of formal and informal leadership positions at the district level. These roles include, but are not limited to district-level leadership, district coordinators, assistant superintendent and superintendent. You will learn to lead PK-12 school districts by engaging in critical educational praxis. The Ed.S. in Education Administration program leads to superintendency certification in South Carolina. To be admitted to the program, you must already hold an elementary or secondary administration certificate.
Goals of the Ed.S. Program
The goal of the Education Administration, Ed.S. program is to develop equity-focused, transformative leaders who:
- Engage in critical self-reflection
- Embody an ethic of community
- Engage in critical educational praxis
- Promote deep and equitable change
- Employ positive political skills
What will I study?
This 100% online degree program is composed of 33 credit hours of course work.
- 21 core hours concentrate on various aspects of school district leadership including finance, instruction, policy, and facilities. Focusing on the goals of the program, these courses directly address the superintendency, which includes a two-semester district-based practicum.
- 9 credit hours of course work in a cognate area.
- 3 credit hours of research.
The program is geared toward those school leaders who aspire to work in any district-wide leadership positions and is required for those serving as a superintendent.
What kinds of work will I be able to do?
The Ed.S. degree meets the requirements for School District Superintendent in South Carolina and prepares you for a variety of district-wide leadership positions. Administrators will increase their marketability for important district-level positions and be better able to address the many challenges faced by school district leaders.
If you are planning to seek certification in a state other than South Carolina, you must contact that state’s educator certification board prior to beginning the program to ensure applicability of this degree program.
Special Tuition Rates
South Carolina certified teachers pay a reduced tuition rate.
Out-of-state students admitted to this program pay regular South Carolina resident tuition rate.
|South Carolina Certified Teachers||All Other Applicants|
|Per Credit Hour||$515*||$572.25|
|Estimated Total Program Tuition including Fees||$18,874*||$20,763|
* This rate applies for SC resident certified teachers completing fewer than 12 hours per semester. Fall I and II together is considered one semester, Spring I and II together is considered one semester, and all summer sessions are considered one semester.
These fees and rates are subject to change and are effective for the 2022-2023 Academic
These fees and rates are subject to change and are effective for the 2022-2023 Academic Year.
Most students in this program receive assistance through loans and other forms of aid. Complete your FAFSA to be considered for these aid programs.
The eight-week course format utilizes 100% online courses. This program uses Blackboard Collaborate Ultra, which promotes interaction and collaboration similar to a traditional, face-to-face learning environment. Nationally- and state-recognized administrators from South Carolina are regular guest speakers throughout the program.
This is a highly interactive program. Our instructors employ the best in online instructional techniques and strategies including discussion boards, case studies, simulations, PowerPoint presentations, readings, and research projects. Additionally, instructors offer weekly synchronous virtual class meetings for opportunities to lecture, collaborate, discuss, and network.
For detailed information on specific courses and requirements, please visit the academic bulletin.