What will I study?
The Master of Education in Teaching is designed to meet the needs of working educators. This 100% online accelerated program is taught by the same faculty who teach on campus and provides opportunities for endorsements, career advancement and educational enrichment.
Tailor your degree by choosing one of these three high-demand specializations and be equipped with the knowledge and professional skill sets you need to stand out as a leader in the classroom.
M.Ed. in Teaching – Literacy and Reading
In this program, educators will explore research-based practices and inquiry-learning designed to meet the literacy needs of today's diverse learners in grades preK-12. This specialization also meets course requirements for the South Carolina Read to Succeed Literacy Teacher or Literacy Requirement Endorsement.
M.Ed. in Teaching – Project Based Learning
In this program, you will examine teaching methodology designed to enable preK-12 students to gain knowledge and skills while working for extended periods of time to investigate and respond to an authentic, engaging and complex question, problem, or challenge. This specialization also meets course requirements for the South Carolina Project Based Learning endorsement.
M.Ed. in Teaching – Multicultural Contexts in Education
This program covers instructional strategies and classroom environments that can help students from diverse racial, ethnic, and cultural groups gain the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to thrive within a democratic society.
What kinds of research will I be able to do?
You will be able to design and create your own action research topic based on your area of specialization as part of your graduate-level training in qualitative and quantitative research design, implementation, and data analysis. The action research project is initiated at the midpoint of the program and completed as part of the required comprehensive examination at the end of the program.
Special Tuition Rates
South Carolina certified teachers pay a reduced tuition rate
Out-of-state students admitted to this program pay regular South Carolina resident tuition rate:
|South Carolina Certified Teachers||All Other Applicants|
|Per Credit Hour||$515*||$572.25|
|Estimated Total Tuition including Fees||$17,146*||$18,863.50|
* This rate applies for SC resident certified teachers completing fewer than 12 hours per semester. Fall I and II together is considered one semester, Spring I and II together is considered one semester, and all summer sessions are considered one semester.
These fees and rates are subject to change and are effective as of July 1, 2019 for the 2019-2020 Academic Year.
Most students in this program receive assistance through loans and other forms of aid. Complete your FAFSA to be considered for these aid programs.
Course Work and Applications
Core Courses (15 semester hours)
The core courses help you further develop a foundation in areas important to professional educators. These courses provide insight into educational leadership, multiculturalism, and action research.
Specialization Courses (15 semester hours)
These courses will deepen your knowledge and understanding of the specialization area you choose. Each specialization area is designed to help you make more informed instructional decisions that will benefit all students in preK-12 classrooms.
For more information about curriculum or program requirements, please visit the academic bulletin.
There are five admission points into the Master of Education in Teaching program: Fall I, Fall II, Spring I, Spring II, and Summer. Every required document in support of the application must be on file by the selected admission point deadline date.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- Two letters of recommendation that focus on your potential for success in a graduate program
- Current resume or vita (to be successful you should be working in a formal or informal education setting)
- Letter of Intent to pursue graduate study that addresses the dispositions (stewardship, intellectual spirit, integrity, and justice) of the University of South Carolina's College of Education Conceptual Framework in the context of the applicant's teaching
- Three years of experience in an education setting OR 3.0 GPA or higher in last degree earned
- For international students: Official TOEFL/IELTS scores that meet minimum requirements as determined by the UofSC Graduate School