Skip to Content

School of Medicine Columbia

Funding Sources

From private pay options to advocacy groups and federal and state government programs, there are a variety of ways to receive funding for the assistive technology you need. Here are some of the main sources you may want to consider.

Children’s Rehabilitative Services

This division of the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control provides evaluation, treatment and services (which may include medical assistive devices) for clients up to age 21. CRS coordinators are located in 13 regional offices throughout the state. Apply at any county health department.

Grants for Individuals

Numerous foundations offer grants for adaptive equipment and assistive technology devices that can improve your quality of life. 

Loan Programs

Loans are also available to help with the purchase of equipment to help you become more independent and enhance your quality of life. 


If you have a low income and your private insurance does not cover the cost of your medical service or assistive device, this joint federal/state program may be a good option. AT devices must respond to a medical problem and be prescribed by a physician to be covered by Medicaid. A prior authorization from a Medicaid provider will also be required before purchasing a device or receiving a service.


Medicare device coverage is available if you are age 65 or older or if you are under age 65, have a disability and have been entitled to receive Social Security disability benefits for 24 months. The scope of coverage for devices is limited; durable medical equipment and services must be used at home, be medically necessary and prescribed by a doctor.

Private Insurance Plans

Even if your policy does not include information about the exact technology and services it covers, it might cover all or part of the device or service you need. It is important to contact your private insurance company first; you may need a rejection from your insurer to secure other funding sources.

School Districts

Some school districts may purchase technology devices for your child, which will be owned by the district. Notify your Special Education Coordinator if your child is eligible for Medicaid. Contact your school district or the S.C. Department of Education for more information.

State Agencies

Agencies such as the S.C. Vocational Rehabilitation Department, the S.C. Commission for the Blind and the S.C. Department of Disabilities and Special Needs may offer services and pay for devices; call their offices to see if you are eligible. The Disability Action Center provides assistive technology services, including counseling and information on equipment and funding sources, independent living skills training, advocacy and more. Contact us at SCATP to learn more.


Do not give up if your request is denied. Find out why and make an appeal. It is critical to have a record of all correspondence and phone conversations and meet each deadline in the appeals process. For help making your appeal, call Disability Rights SC at 866-275-7273. To appeal decisions made by the S.C. Department of Vocational Rehabilitation or the S.C. Commission for the Blind, contact the Client Assistance Program at 1-800-868-0040.

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.