Students can request to study at either the Greenville campus or the Columbia campus. Attempts are made to assign students to their first choice site.
Students admitted to the Masters of Nurse Anesthesia Degree Program are selected by an Admissions Committee composed of faculty from the University of South Carolina School of Medicine, clinical coordinators and nurse anesthesia students. Applicants must apply to the Graduate School of the University of South Carolina in order to be processed by the admissions committee.
The Masters of Nurse Anesthesia Program does not accept transfer credits or issue advanced standing to any candidate for admission.
- A Bachelor in Nursing (an Associate Degree Nursing with a Bachelor of Science degree in a basic science qualify for admission if prerequisite courses in Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology and Chemistry are completed) from an accredited college or university.
- A grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 or higher on a 4.00 scale is needed to be competitive. Competency-based nursing programs where curriculum does not generate a GPA will not qualify applicants for admission.
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in one of the 50 states; South Carolina licensure is required by matriculation if licensure is not a part of the Nurse Licensure Compact.
- A Graduate Record Exam (GRE) score of at least 300 is needed to be competitive.
- A minimum of one year (full-time) critical care nursing experience prior to the Application deadline of April 1. Current, ongoing intensive care unit experience is preferred (emergency room experience does not meet the ICU requirement).
- Letters of recommendation from two healthcare professionals who have supervised your clinical experience.
- Current resume or curriculum vitae.
- January 5: Application portal opens
- April 1: Application deadline
- June: Interviews for select applicants
- July: Notification of acceptance or decline (applicants and interviewees)
- August–October: Position offers to alternates (as available)
Commitment to Diversity
The University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Palmetto Health Richland and Greenville Health System are committed to providing equal consideration to all applicants regardless of race, color, ethnic and national origin, religion, sex, age or marital status. Admission is competitive. Students are chosen on the basis of their academic record, employment history and performance, character and general fitness for the study of nurse anesthesia.