School of Law
|Office:||1525 Senate Street
Columbia, SC 29208
Rebecca Plevel joined the South Carolina Law Library from the University of Arizona where she was a Fellow at the Daniel F. Cracchiolo Law Library at the James E. Rogers College of Law while pursuing a Master of Arts in Library and Information Science. Before becoming a Law Librarian, Plevel practiced law in Flagstaff, Arizona, for almost 20 years; first at the Coconino County Attorney’s Office, then with the Hopi Tribe as Deputy General Counsel, and ultimately as a solo practitioner. Plevel was also the Chief Prosecutor for the Gila River Indian Community, a Deputy County Attorney for the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office, the Ak-Chin Indian Community Prosecutor, the Pasqua Yaqui Tribal Prosecutor, and an Assistant General Counsel with the White Mountain Apache Tribe right after law school. Plevel served as a judge pro tem for the Flagstaff City Court and the Coconino County justice courts and still serves as a justice pro tem for the Pasqua Yaqui Court of Appeals. Her scholarship interests lie in social justice and access to justice, as well as in tribal and Indigenous law. She grew up in Tucson, Arizona and in her spare time, she hikes with her dog and likes to ride her motorcycle.
- 2021, MLIS, University of Arizona School of Information
- 1991, JD, University of Arizona College of Law
- 1986, BA, Liberal Arts (Communications, Sociology and Spanish), University of Arizona
- Legal Research, Analysis & Writing I (LAWS 533)
- Legal Research, Analysis & Writing II (LAWS 534)
- Extending the CARE Principles from Tribal Research Policies to Benefit Sharing in Genomic Research. FRONT. GENET. 13:1052620, 11 November 2022. (with Stephanie Carroll, Lydia Jennings, Ibrahim Garba, Rogena Sterling, Felina Cordova-Marks, Vanessa Hiratsuka, Maui Hudson and Nanibaa' A. Garrison).
- Research Tips and Resources from a UofSC Law Librarian, SC Lawyer, July 2022, at 32.
- Using Indigenous Standards to implement the CARE Principles: Setting Expectations through Tribal Research Codes, FRONT. GENET, 13:823309, 21 March 2022 (with Stephanie Russo Carroll, Ibrahim Garba, Desi Small-Rodriquez, Vanessa Y Hiratsuka, Maui Hudson, Nanibaa' A. Garrison)