Faculty and Staff
|Title:||Professor of Cell Biology & Anatomy
Medical Micro-anatomy Course Director
|Department:||Cell Biology & Anatomy
School of Medicine Columbia
Cell Biology & Anatomy
|Resources:||Lab phone: 803-216-3857|
1983-1987 College of William and Mary – Bachelors of Science, Biology, Minor in Anthropology
1987-1989 College of William and Mary – Masters of Arts – Biology
1989-1994 Medical College of Virginia – Ph.D. – Physiology
1994-1997 University of Virginia – Post Doctoral Fellow – Molecular Biology and Endocrinology
Our lab research focuses on female reproductive health and endocrinology. The long term interest of the lab are studies on the hormonal control of ovarian follicular growth, differentiation, and steroidogenesis. We are interested in how specific transcriptional control these processes. One area of study involves utilizing human cumulus cell biomarkers as predictors of embryo quality and assisted reproduction outcomes. We also study nutrient regulation of ovarian transcription in agricultural species. A recent area of research concnetrates on the extracellular matrix changes in the heart that occur during pregnancy and the postpartum period and the role of lactation using mouse models.
- Kordus RJ, Hossain A, Malter HE, LaVoie HA. Mitochondrial metabolic substrate utilization in granulosa cells reflects body mass index and total follicle stimulating hormone dosage in in vitro fertilization patients. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2020 37:2743–2756. doi:10.1007/s10815-020-01946-9. Epub 2020 Sept 15.
- Kordus RJ, Hossain A, Corso MC, Chakraborty H, Whitman-Elia GF, LaVoie HA. Cumulus cell Pappalysin-1, Luteinizing Hormone/ Choriogonadotropin Receptor, Amphiregulin and Hydroxy-delta-5-steroid dehydrogenase, 3 beta- and steroid delta-isomerase 1 mRNA levels associate with oocyte developmental competence and embryo outcomes. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2019 36(7):1457-1469. doi: 10.1007/s10815-019-01489-8. Epub 2019 Jun 11.
- Parrott ME, Aljrbi E, Biederman DL, Montalvo, R, Barth J, LaVoie HA. Maternal cardiac messenger RNA expression of extracellular matrix proteins in mice during pregnancy and the postpartum period. Exp Biol Med, 2018 243(15-16):1220-1232, Epub 2018 Dec 12. doi: 10.1177/1535370218818457 (Featured article).
- LaVoie HA. Transcriptional control of genes mediating ovarian follicular growth, differentiation and steroidogenesis in pigs. Mol Reprod Dev, 2017 84(9):788-801. doi: 10.1002/mrd.22827. Epub 2017 Jun 8.
- Kordus RJ and LaVoie HA. Granulosa cell biomarkers to predict pregnancy in ART: pieces to solve the puzzle. Reproduction, 2017 Feb;153(2):R69-R83. https://dx.doi.org/10.1530/REP-16-0500.