Faculty and Staff
|Title:||Professor of Cell Biology and Anatomy
|Department:||Cell Biology and Anatomy
School of Medicine
Cell Biology & Anatomy
|Resources:||Lab Phone: 803-216-3832|
1979-83 University of South Carolina, Aiken – Bachelors of Science – Biology
1983-85 University of South Carolina – Masters of Science – Biology
1986-88 University of South Carolina – Ph.D. – Biology
The ventricular wall of the heart is composed of contractile muscle cells and non-muscle cell types including fibroblasts, endothelial cells and others. These cells are inter-connected and supported by an elaborate extracellular matrix. Changes in the density and organization of the extracellular matrix are known to affect cardiovascular performance and have been correlated with heart disease. For instance, excessive accumulation of extracellular matrix or fibrosis is commonly associated with hypertension and myocardial infarction. The extracellular matrix in the heart is produced largely by cardiac fibroblasts. A number of factors including hormones, growth factors, cytokines and mechanical forces are known to regulate gene expression in fibroblasts; however, many questions remain regarding the integration of these various signals. The research in Dr. Carver’s lab is focused on understanding how fibroblast behavior and gene expression are regulated in the heart. Cell culture and animal models are being used to examine the regulation of fibroblasts in cardiovascular disease.
- Carver W, Goldsmith EC (2013) Regulation of tissue fibrosis by the biomechanical environment. Biomed Res Int 2013:101979.
- Law BA, Carver WE (2013) Activation of cardiac fibroblasts by ethanol is blocked by TGF-beta inhibition. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 37:1286-1294
- Fowlkes V, Clark J, Fix C, Law BA, Morales MO, Qiao X, Ako-Asare K, Goldsmith JG, Carver W, Murray DB, Goldsmith EC (2013) Type II diabetes promotes a myofibroblast phenotype in cardiac fibroblasts. Life Sci 92:669-676.
- Fowlkes V, Wilson CG, Carver W, Goldsmith EC (2013) Mechanical loading promotes mast cell degranulation via RGD-integrin dependent pathways. J Biomech 46:788-795.
- Law BA, Levick SP, Carver WE (2012) Alterations in cardiac structure and function in a murine model of chronic alcohol consumption. Microsc Microanal 18:453-461.
- Fix C, Bingham K, Carver W (2011) Effects of interleukin-18 on cardiac fibroblast function and gene expression. Cytokine 53:19-28.
- Stewart JA Jr, Massey EP, Fix C, Zhu J, Goldsmith EC, Carver W. (2010) Temporal alterations in cardiac fibroblast function following induction of pressure overload. Cell Tissue Res 34:117-26.
- Meeh, PF, CL Farrell, R Croshaw, H Crimm, SK Miller, D Oroian, S Kowli, J Zhu, W Carver, W Wu, E Pena and PJ Buckhaults (2009) A gene expression classifier of node-positive colorectal cancer. Neoplasia 11:1074-1083
- Carver W and J Fuseler (2009) Mechanical stretch-induced reorganization of the cytoskeleton and the small GTPase Rac-1 in cardiac fibroblasts. Mechanosensitivity in Cells and Tissues, A Kamkin and E Kiseleva, eds. Springer.
- Levick, S, J McLarty, W Carver, JS Janicki and GL Brower (2009) Cardiac mast cells mediate left ventricular fibrosis in the hypertensive rat heart. Hypertension 53:1010 - 1017.
- GP Kaushal, AD Elbein and W Carver (2008). The extracellular matrix. In: (JW Baynes and MH Dominiczak, eds) Medical Biochemistry, 3rd Edition. Elsevier Publishers, London.
- Zhang, T, JA Stewart, Jr, ID Kane, DO Cashatt and W Carver (2007). Glucose levels modulate the interactions of cardiac fibroblasts with the collagenous extracellular matrix. In Vitro Cell Devel Biol. 43:297-305.
- Fuseler, JW, CF Millette, JM Davis and W Carver (2007). Fractal and image analysis of morphological changes in the actin cytoskeleton of neonatal cardiac fibroblasts in response to mechanical stretch. Micros. Microanal. 13: 133-143.