Faculty and Staff
Kevin J. Bennett
|Title:||Interim Director, Research Center for Transforming Health
Director of Research & Evaluation, Center for Rural & Primary Healthcare
|Department:||Family and Preventive Medicine, Division of Research
School of Medicine
Family & Prev Med
BS, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1997
MS, James Madison University, 2001
PhD, University of South Carolina, 2004
Dr. Bennett’s research agenda focuses upon care delivery for vulnerable populations, such as non-whites, rural residents, and those with chronic diseases. In particular, his research focuses upon how rural minorities experience problems related to access to health care services, utilization of these services, and out-of-pocket expenditures for services. In addition to this work, Dr. Bennett also conducts quality improvement research, which focuses upon the use of health information technology and systems redesign as tools to improve care delivery, particularly among vulnerable and underserved populations.
- Bennett KJ, Probst JC. 30-Day Readmission Rates among Dual Eligible Beneficiaries. Journal of Rural Health. (In Press)
- Bhasvar GP, Martin AB, Bennett KJ, Thornburg JT. Evaluating the Health Information Technology Regional Extension Center in South Carolina. Health Policy and Technology (In Press)
- Snyder R, Huynh N, Cai B, Vidal J, Bennett KJ. (2013) Effective healthcare process redesign through an interdisciplinary team approach. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2013;192:1138.
- Bennett KJ. (2013). Rural Population Estimates: An Analysis of a Large Secondary Data Set. Journal of Rural Health 2013 29(3); 233-238. Impact Factor = 1.44
- Bennett KJ, Probst JC, Vyavaharkar M, Glover S. (2012) Missing the Handoff: Post-Hospitalization Follow-up Care Among Rural Medicare Beneficiaries with Diabetes. Remote & Rural Health, 12(3).
- Bennett KJ, Probst JC, Vyavaharkar M, Glover S. (2012). Lower rehospitalization rates among rural Medicare beneficiaries with diabetes. Journal of Rural Health , 28(3): 227-234. Impact Factor = 1.44
- Hale N, Probst JC, Liu J, Martin A, Bennett KJ, Glover S. (2012) Postpartum Screening for Diabetes among South Carolina Medicaid Eligible Women with Gestational Diabetes. Women’s’ Health Issues, 22(2); e163-169. Impact Factor = 1.97
- Bennett KJ, Pumkam CP, Probst JC. Rural - Urban Differences in the Location of Influenza Vaccine Administration. Vaccine. 29(11); 5970-5977. Impact Factor = 3.57
- Bennett KJ, Probst JC, Pumkam, C. (2011) Persistent Poverty and the Prevalence of Overweight: The Role of Area-Level Effects. Health and Place. 17(5); 1174-1181. Impact Factor = 2.69
- Baxley EG, Bennett KJ, Carter C, Crutcher S. PDSA-ADHD: A Newly Reported Syndrome. Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine.24(6); 752-757. Impact Factor = 1.99
- Bennett KJ, Probst JC, Bellinger J. (2011) Cancer Screening Delivery in High Poverty Counties. Journal of Primary Care and Community Health. 2(4);240-249. Impact Factor Not Available
- Bennett KJ, Baxley EG, Carter C, Stanek M. (2011) The Impact of an Organized Continuity Panel Reassignment Process on Diabetes Quality Indicators. Journal of Graduate Medical Education 3(3); 404-407. Impact Factor Not Available
- Bennett KJ, Bellinger J, Probst JC. Receipt of Cancer Screening Services: Surprising Results for Some Rural Minorities. Journal of Rural Health 28(1); 62-72. Impact Factor = 1.44
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention Disability Research and Dissemination Center. RFA-R14-002, EMR Rare Conditions. Rare Condition research using a combined Administrative / Clinical Data warehouse. Bennett KJ (Co-PI). 10% Effort, 3 Years
- Probst JC (PI), Bennett KJ (Co-I). Office of Rural Health Policy, Health Resources and Services Administration; South Carolina Rural Health Research Center. 2012-2016.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Coordinating Center for Research and Training to Promote the Health of People with Developmental and Other Disabilities. 2012-2016. Role: Co-Investigator, 10% effort
- Bennett KJ (PI). Upper Midlands Rural Health Network. Evaluation of Upper Midlands Rural Health Network Rural Health HIT Network Development Grant. September 2013-August 2017.
- Bennett KJ (PI). Abbeville Area Medical Center. Evaluation of a Case Study of the Impact of the Community Paramedicine Program on Abbeville Area Medical Center. September 2013-August 2015.
- Health Sciences South Carolina. August 2009 – July 2011. Principal Investigator. Quality Improvement Collaboration in A Rural Network: The Interaction of Health Information Technology and Performance, 20% effort ($250,000).
- Health Sciences South Carolina. April 2009 – March 2011. Co-Investigator. Experience in Quality Improvement for Practice for Primary Care. 10% effort, In kind. ($482,554).
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, K02 Independent Scientist Award. 2007-2011. Principal Investigator. Chronic Care Quality Improvement Learning Laboratory (CQuILL), 75% effort ($384,594).