Skip to Content

Academic Advising

Override / Seat Notification Requests

Override requests are not guaranteed and are granted at the discretion of the college or department in question. Physical classroom spaces are subject to legal room capacity regulations. Instructions for accessing override request forms and/or seat availability notifications are listed in the table below. 


Department Next Step
College of Arts & 

For credit hour overrides please email Note: Any course load above 18 hours is classified as an overload and requires special permission from the Office of Undergraduate Studies. Overloads are only granted to students who have attained an average of 3.0 or better on a minimum of 12 hours taken on a non-pass/fail basis in the previous full semester.

College of Information & 
For information on restrictions and overrides, please visit: 
College of Hospitality, Retail & Sport Management

For an override into RETL, HRTM, and HRSM courses please complete the override form.

For an override into SPTE courses please email Jessica Harris at

College of Education

For College of Education students requesting an override into an Education course please email your assigned academic advisor. 

For Non-COE students requesting an override into an Education course please email Lauren Sanborn –

Biology Complete the override request/seat notification form.
College of 
Engineering & 

Please complete the request for an override into Computing courses.

For an override into any other courses within the College of Engineering & Computing please email

Darla Moore School 
of Business

For DMSB students requesting an override into a DMSB course, please use the DMSB Undergraduate Seat Request Form to make your request. 

For non-DMSB students requesting an override, pleaes wait until Friday of General Registration to fill out the form above, and mark "minor" or "other" on the form.

Making a seat request does not guarantee space in a course.

Foreign Language 
For an override into language courses complete the DLLC Course Override Form.
Foreign Language 
Placement –
Placement Test 
Exemption Request

If you have either never studied the language, or if your study of the language was many years ago, please complete the Form to Request Exemption from the Foreign Language Placement Exam. Once approved and processed, you will receive a placement score of ZERO (0) which will allow you to register for the introductory-level course.

If you have studied the language more recently, you are required to take the placement exam in order to receive a placement score. Please register via our placement website to take the exam  on one of our scheduled testing dates.

History Please email Tyler McNamara at regarding course override inquiries.
Honors College 

For general student services needs contact their office at 803-777-8102 or email SCHC at Please contact the  following email for advising related questions and concerns:

Utilize the appropriate link below for course override access.

Math Click here for override and placement test information.
Music To be considered for a course override for a Music course, any non-Music major student needs to contact Margee Ziegler, Student Services Coordinator, at to be put on a waiting list (I.E. MUSC 115 and MUSC 117). This is to ensure that majors are given first preference to register for major-required courses. Margee will then contact students on the waitlist when the course is opened to non- majors in the order they are signed up.
Physics and
Complete the request to be added to the appropriate laboratory waitlist: 
Psychology Please contact Connie Outen at or 803-777-2483 for an override into a Psychology course.
School of 

*Overrides will be given only to students graduating in the current semester*
Please email an override request to the corresponding contact for the course you are requesting an override. Make sure to include your USC ID, Course subject and number, Course CRN, Course section number, and an email from your academic advisor confirming you need the course to graduate.

School of Visual Art & Design Please email the professor of the section you want to be in for any ARTS, ARTE, ARTH, MART or FAMS courses. If the section does not have a professor listed, please email
“Y” Section Courses / 
On Your Time
Initiatives Courses
Click here to view additional information regarding override requests into On Your Time Initiatives (Y section) closed courses.
Social Work Complete the Social Work course override requests form

Advisors should always consider a classroom’s capacity before providing overrides into courses, if the advisor is able to provide the override.
Legal Room Capacity can be found at

**Last updated April 27, 2023

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.