The goal of this initiative is to leverage established relationship with advisors, to encourage students to connect with resources if they are having difficulties that have led them to not register for the coming term.
If the student is not returning to UofSC, advisors gather context as to why.
Timeline for Intervention
Fall: Early December - Spring Add/Drop Date
Spring: Early May - Fall Add/Drop
- The UAC will upload a watchlist to EAB of all students who are not enrolled for the upcoming term (and are eligible to register and not graduating).
- An EAB case will be opened for each student and the advisor of record will automatically be assigned. Advisors will use cases assigned to them to manage outreach to their non-registered students.
- Advisors will reach out to their students that are not registered with multiple “nudges” (see sample communication below).
- Over the course of the intervention (from start until the day after add/drop), advisors can close the case with one of two reasons: Student Registered or Student Not Returning (descriptions below)
- After add/drop, advisors can close all remaining cases with one of two reasons: Student Registered or Student Unresponsive (descriptions below)
Please note UAC Undergraduate Academic Advisors are asked to use multiple modes of communication (email, text, phone call) as part of this this initiative. All other Academic Advisors are highly encouraged to do the same for consistency purposes.
I noticed you’re not yet registered for Spring 2022. Is there anything I can do to help? I look forward to hearing from you. Best, [yourname]
I noticed you’re not yet registered for Spring 2022. Is there anything I can do to help? I look forward to hearing from you. [Advisor to customize wording]
Advisor Name [XXX]
How to make an appointment:
When closing a case, advisors will select a closed case reason according to how the case was resolved:
Select "Student Registered" if the advisor see the student has registered
Select "Student Not Returning" if the advisor communicates with the student and knows why they are not returning. Advisor will leave reason(s) for not returning in the comments for the closed case. Leaving the reason(s) in the comments will take the place of the previously used Non-Returners Form.
Select "Student Unresponsive" if the student never registered OR made contact with the advisor - this is ONLY to be used after add/drop
Success in the Non-Registered Initiative
Through the Non-Registered Initiative, advisors have significantly reduced the number of students each term who choose not to return to UofSC.