Requirements for Advancement
To advance to an Advisor II position, first-year/undergraduate advisors must do the following:
- Serve as a First-Year/Undergraduate advisor for at least 24 months
- Demonstrate commitment, collaboration, and contributions to the First-Year Advising Program, the University Advising Center, and their assigned college/school
- Participate in a 60-minute conference with the UAC Tier Review Committee
- Submit an internal application to the UAC Tier Review Committee (which includes the college supervisor) after serving in position for 24 months
Advisors who have not been in their position for 24 months are encouraged to work on their application throughout their tenure in the position. Download a copy of the application.
Sample components of the application are outlined below:
- Achieve Level I and Level II Certification in the USC Advisor Training Program
- Advise a minimum of 300 students for assigned majors
- Note additional duties and responsibilities assumed as a first-year/undergradate advisor. This can include advising upper class students, taking on expanded college duties, advising transfer students, or cross training to advise in multiple majors and disciplines.
- Conduct academic interventions and communications with assigned advisees when appropriate
- Shadow two other academic advisors (minimum of 5 total hours with one advisor outside of your immediate college/school)
Advisors who have been in their position for 24 months should prepare their materials and complete the online application for advancement. Please note: The application form is online and will not allow you to save your progress as you go. Please have all of your materials prepared in advance so that the application can be submitted in one sitting.