The Major Map Repository stores all completed major maps and is updated regularly. A list of newly published major maps is supplied below.
Program of Study
A program of study is a prescribed sequence of learning components comprising an academic program. Below are the components of a program of study.
- Carolina Core: (required) The common core of knowledge, skill, and academic experience for all Carolina undergraduates.
- College Requirements: Foundational requirements for all majors within the college.
- Program Requirements: Requirements specific to an academic program that are not major courses.
- Cognate: A series of courses that display a distinct curricular pattern in one or more disciplines different from the major.
- Minor: A series of courses that display a distinct curricular pattern in one discipline that is different from the major.
- Supporting Courses: Courses related to and required in preparation for the major.
- Electives: (to reach required hours to graduate) Courses open to student selection or preference that are applicable to the program of study and are counted in the required hours to graduate.
- Major: (required) A program of study in a discipline that leads to a degree in that distinct specialty
area at a particular level of instruction.
- Major Courses: Specific required courses in the distinct specialty area.
- Major Electives: Specific recommended courses that support the distinct specialty area.
- Concentration: A series of courses that display a distinct curricular pattern within the major.
- Thesis/Dissertation/Capstone: A culminating research experience in the distinct specialty area.