Faculty and Staff
James R. Augustine, Ph.D.
|Title:||Professor Emeritus of Pharmacology, Physiology and Neuroscience
|Department:||Pharmacology, Physiology and Neuroscience
School of Medicine Columbia
Pharmacology Physiology & Neuroscience
Millikin University (BA), Saint Louis University (MS), University of Alabama at Birmingham (PhD). Postdoctoral training at the University of Michigan in the Neurosurgical Research Laboratory and at the Université de Montréal, Centre de Recherché en Sciences Neurologique.
Dr. Augustine has authored numerous scholarly articles on the functional anatomy of the brain with a special interest in the insula in experimental primates and humans, and is the sole author of a comprehensive overview of the anatomy of the human brain and spinal cord entitled "Human Neuroanatomy" initially published by Academic Press (1st Edition, 2008) and recently published as a new work in a second edition by Wiley-Blackwell (February 2017).
Dr. Augustine also currently serves as the faculty Ombuds for USC>
- Augustine JR (2017) Human Neuroanatomy, 2nd edition. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. Twenty-three chapters, 397 pages. ISBN-13: 978-0470961612; ISBN-10: 0470961619
- Hoppmann R, et al (51 others including Augustine JR) (2015) The evolution of an integrated ultrasound curriculum (iUSC) for medical students: nine-year experience. Critical Ultrasound Journal 7:18-33.
- Lehman RM, Augustine JR (2014) Evolution and rebirth of functional stereotaxy in the subthalamus. World Neurosurg 80 (5):521-533.
- Augustine JR (2008) Human Neuroanatomy, Academic Press, an imprint of Elsevier. ISBN 978-0-12-068251-255.
- Steinberg BA, Augustine JR (1997) Behavioral, anatomical, and physiological aspects of recovery of motor function following stroke. Brain Research Reviews 25:125-132.
- Augustine JR (1996) Circuitry and functional aspects of the insular lobe in primates including humans. Brain Research Reviews 22:229-244.
- McDonald AJ, Mascagni F, Augustine JR (1995) Neuropeptide Y and somatostatin-like immunoreactivity in the monkey amygdala. Neuroscience 66:959-982.
- Odor DL, Augustine JR (1995) Morphological study of changes in the baboon oviductal epithelium during the menstrual cycle. Microscopy Research and Technique 32:13-28.
- Augustine JR, Mascagni F, McDonald AJ, Blake CA (1993) Immunocytochemical staining of neuropeptide Y (NPY) in the insular lobe of the monkey: a light microscopic study. Brain Res 603:255-263.
- Augustine JR (1985) The insular lobe in primates including humans. Neurol Res 7:2-10.
Dr. Augustine was recruited as a full-time faculty member in the School of Medicine in 1976 to serve as course director for Medical Neuroanatomy/Neuroscience. He has educated nearly every USC School of Medicine student since the first class was admitted in 1977. He has been named the MI Teacher of the Year at the USC School of Medicine seven times, and was named a String of Pearls lecturer six times. He also taught in the Medical Gross Anatomy and Medical Histology courses and has contributed significantly to the graduate teaching mission of the School of Medicine as course director for Fundamental Neuroscience I for more than a dozen years and as a participant in a variety of other graduate neuroscience courses.