Epidemiology and Biostatistics applicants must apply through The Centralized Application Service for Public Health (SOPHAS).
If you have questions, contact MPH Program Director, Dr. Myriam Torres, at 803-777-6852 or email@example.com.
We are rising to meet the emerging public health challenges of the present day, training
future public health professionals to tackle the ever-expanding list of threats to
human health. Join us.
- 100% asynchronous (online, on your time) MPH degree
- fully CEPH-accredited
- opportunities to gain experience in a public health practice setting
- opportunities to get involved in research
- renowned excellence in teaching and top-tier research for more than four decades
- broad spectrum of expertise in the most critical public health issues of our time
- national research funding
- local and state practice partnerships
GRE scores are waived for 2023-24, but you should have a four-year undergraduate degree or equivalent from an accredited institution with at least a 3.0 GPA. Candidates from public health, health-related fields, science, or liberal arts preferred. Prior professional work experience and/or research experience is preferred but not required.
International applicants: a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) minimum
score of 90 or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) minimum overall
band score of 7.0 is required but can be waived for applicants that have earned a
prior degree from a US institution.
Prepare to Apply
Have a smooth application process by preparing or acquiring the following in advance.
Prepare a current resume.
Describe why you have chosen to study epidemiology, why you have chosen to study at the University of South Carolina, your academic and practice interests, relevant work, research, or practice experiences, and academic/professional goals and objectives.
Obtain your official transcript(s) from all schools or colleges previously attended. Non-US institution transcripts must be verified by World Education Services (WES) or equivalent evaluation service. Please submit a comprehensive course-by-course evaluation (WES ICAP).
Obtain at least three letters of recommendation from academic and/or professional sources.
Provide your relevant completed coursework and/or letter of recommendation from a course instructor who will provide an assessment of your quantitative skills
TOEFL or IELTS scores are required for those whose native language is not English.
TOEFL: Scores should be submitted electronically using the USC Institutional code 5818.
IELTS: Scores should be mailed directly to the USC Graduate School
The Graduate School
University of South Carolina
1705 College Street, Suite 552
Columbia, S.C. 29208
Students in the EPID MPH program will complete the public health core plus an additional 27 credit hours as follows for a total of 43 credit hours.
Department Core Requirements (12 hours)
- BIOS 709 (1) Introduction to SAS
- BIOS 719 (1) Advanced SAS Methods in Public Health
- BIOS 757 (3) Intermediate Biometrics
- EPID 741 (3) Intermediate Epidemiologic Methods
- EPID 721 (2) Clinical and Population Research Protocol Development and Implementation
- EPID 722 (2) Scientific Writing and Appraisal of Epidemiologic Studies
Major Requirements (6 hours)
- EPID 730 (3) Public Health Surveillance Systems
- EPID 788 (3) Practical Methods for Secondary Data Analysis
Electives (6 hours)
Electives may be chosen from epidemiology courses or courses in the university that support the overall educational goals of the student. The faculty advisor must approve all elective courses.
Applied Practice Experience (2 hours)
- EPID 798 (2) Epidemiology Applied Practicum
Integrated Learning Experience (1 hours)
- EPID 796 (1) Synthesis of Foundational and Epidemiology Competencies
Contact the Epidemiology MPH Program Director, Dr. Myriam Torres, at 803-777-6852 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about the program or if you would like permission to apply after the deadline date.