As part of the Center for the Study of Aphasia Recovery (C-STAR) (link https://cstar.sc.edu/), Dirk den Ouden organizes the biweekly C-STAR lecture series. An archive of these
lectures, going back to 2016, is available on the C-STAR website. It provides a wonderful
overview of ongoing work on the neurobiology of language, and in particular the neurobiology
of aphasia rehabilitation.
The mission of the Aging Brain Cohort (ABC) study at the University of South Carolina
is to discover how brain health is related to the problems that coincide with aging.
This intramural Center of Excellence, led by Dr. Julius Fridriksson, hopes to identify
risk factors for a host of age-related problems (e.g. cognitive decline, Alzheimer’s
disease, stroke, etc.). Dirk den Ouden is a co-investigator and researchers from the
Neurolinguistics Lab collaborate on studies based on the rich ABC@USC dataset.
Links for More Information
- What is Aphasia?
- What is Apraxia of Speech?
- The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- The American Stroke Association
- The National Stroke Association
- The National Aphasia Association
- A Voice Halted - blog by Jenni Shafer, who is a TBI survivor - recommended!
- USC Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders
- USC Aphasia Laboratory
- USC Institute for Mind and Brain