Degrees, Certificates, and Concentrations
This minor is designed to help mitigate the shortage of trained professionals by building students' competenceies in the areas of food system transformation, environmental sustainability, nutritional health improvement and social justice.
This certificate prepares students with the knowledge and skills that are necessary to conduct international work on a variety of different topics, such as food and nutrition.
Several different programs for undergraduate and graduate degrees allow/require cognates, or a grouping of related courses, such as nutrition. For more information contact your advisor.
Nutrition and Related Courses
Spring 2021 Nutrition Course Offerings
|HPEB 489: Food Systems Capstone Seminar|
|HPEB 502: Applied Aspects of Human Nutrition|
|HPEB 560: Cooking Up a Storm: Food, Globalization, Localization, and Health in the South|
|HPEB 752: Nutrition and Public Health|
|EXSC 507: Exercise, Sport, and Nutrition|
|EXSC 620: Nutrition and Immunology|
|NURS 220: Clinical Nutrition (restricted to Nursing majors)|
|BIOL 425: Plant Form and Function|
|HRTM 164: Introduction to Healthy Mediterranean Cooking
|GEOG 538/ENVR 538: Global Food Politics
Practicum opportunities are available in the field of nutrition. Visit MySPH for more information on current available opportunities. For more information on previous practicum sites, check out this table.
- Performance Nutrition Intern - Duties include supporting the Performance Nutrition staff members in daily activities to assisting and educating the student-athletes to reaching their peak performance through nutrition, assisting the Performance Nutrition staff in creating and promoting educational materials that will serve to enhance the student-athletes performance, observing and assisting with conducting consults, team talks, body composition testing, hydration testing, and cooking demos.
- Clinic Based Health Education/Chronic Disease Prevention/Management - The Clinic Based Health Educator will perform the initial patient assessment, develop educational intervention plan , and document patient centered behavior goals to improve the health of the patient. Evaluation of the behavior health improvement i.e. nutritional changes, exercise, will be at the next patient visit or via electronic communications.
Interested in working with an Affiliated Scholar of the Nutrition Consortium? Fill out the following form and we will notify you of next steps to take.
- A volunteer research assistant position is available at the Drexel Center for Weight Eating and Lifestyle Science Center (WELL Center) at Drexel University in the laboratory of Evan Forman, PhD. Dr. Forman’s research focuses on designing, refining, implementing and evaluating innovative behavioral and technology-based treatments for obesity and related eating problems. The position represents an excellent opportunity to gain hands-on research experience in clinical psychology, public health, and related fields, especially in preparation for graduate study in these areas. The position is entirely remote. Hours are negotiable and could range from 5 hours per week to 15 hours per week, if involvement in additional laboratory projects is desired. If you are interested, please complete the application here.
- Graduate Research Assistant with The Children's Trust of South Carolina: The graduate research assistant will provide assistance to data, research, and evaluation activities at Children’s Trust. Key assistance includes supporting the agency’s’ efforts to make data-driven decisions; engage in research activities to impact programs, practice, and policies; and ensure programs are meeting fidelity standards, achieving outcomes, and impacting the agency’s mission. For more information, visit MySPH.
- Graduate Assistant with Student Health Services Wellness Coaching (2 positions available): Under the general supervision of the Associate Director, the incumbent will work out of the Thomson Building and be responsible for conducting wellness coaching appointments for students, faculty and staff, with special emphasis on balanced eating, physical activity, tobacco/nicotine treatment and stress management. This position works closely with the recruitment and coaching of clients in this program. To apply for this position, please submit a statement of interest (300-500 words), and your current resume/CV to Amanda Castles (email@example.com). The deadline for application is November 20, 2020.
- Graduate Student with Sustainable Carolina: In this role, you will coach (think: motivate, empower, guide, advise, cheer on) 10-15 undergraduate students on skills related to leadership, employability, integrative learning, and project development. You will also supervise two student-led project teams who work to advance sustainability on campus and in the community. For more information, visit the Opportunities Bulletin Board.
Completed Dissertations & Theses
- Albadrani, M.(2019). Microcystin Exposure and Liver Injury Outcomes in NAFLD.
- Alrafas, H.(2019). Beneficial Effects of Resveratrol Against Colitis and Colorectal Cancer Mediated by the Host Microbiome, Epigenome, and Immune Response.
- Bader, J.(2019). Macrophages and Associated Inflammation Differentially Impact Obesity, Colorectal Cancer and Obesity-Enhanced Colorectal Cancer.
- Basnet, S.(2019). Role of Resources for Care in Improving Care Behaviors, Children’s Nutritional Status and Early Childhood Development in Low- and Middle-Income Countries.
- Botchway, M. O.(2019). Social Networks, Social Support, and Contextual Factors That Affect Blood Glucose Control Among Individuals with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Urban Ghana.
- Boutté, A. K.(2019). Examining the Relationships Between Stress, Depressive Symptoms, and the Neighborhood Food Environment on Diet Quality Among Racially-Diverse Pregnant Women in South Carolina.
- Choi, R. H.(2019). Effect of TRB3 on Skeletal Muscle Mass Regulation and Exercise-Induced Adaptation.
- Crimarco, A.(2019). The Plant-Based and Soul-Full Study (PASS): Examining How Owners of Local Vegan Soul Food Restaurants Promote the Consumption of Vegan Foods in the African American Community.
- Hendley, M. A.(2019). Adipose Tissue Engineering: A Therapeutic Strategy for the Treatment of Obesity and Glucose Intolerance.
- Josey, M. J.(2019). Disparities in Colorectal Cancer: Measuring Spatial Accessibility, Screening, and Surveillance Outcomes in South Carolina.
- Lauffer, B.(2019). Education for Sustainability: The Effectiveness of a Place Based Environmental Education Unit in Food Waste Reduction on the Environmental Awareness of Fourth Grade Students.
- Miranda, K.(2019). Role of Epigenome and Microbiome in Endocannabinoid-Mediated Regulation of Inflammation During Diet-Induced Obesity.
- Nguyen, H.(2019). Parenting and Child Self-Regulation as Mechanisms for the Relationship of Household Food Insecurity with Child Dietary Behavior.
- Omofuma, O. O.(2019). Dietary Advanced Glycation End-Products (Ages) and Breast Cancer Risk and Survival.
- Patel, C.(2019). Co-Occurrence and Non-Overlap Among Behavioral and Health-Related Problems in Preschool Children.
- Pourhoseini, S.(2019). The Health Implication and Application of Silver and Iron Oxide Nanoparticles.
- Sutherland, M. W.(2019). Longitudinal Trajectories of Depressive Symptoms Among Youth and Young Adults With Type 1 Diabetes: Predictors and Health Outcomes.
- Carson, M. S.(2019). The Contribution of Adipose Tissue from Ovariectomized Mice to Colon Cancer.
- Davis, R.(2019). Potassium Fertilization Effects on Yield for Wheat, Soybean, and Corn Grown in Coastal Plain Soils.
- Loncar, H.(2019). Associations Among Parenting Style and Parental Feeding Practices on Adolescent Self-Efficacy for Diet and Obesity in African American Adolescents.
- Bevel, M. S.(2020). The Impact of Psychosocial, Clinical, and Neighborhood Factors on Inflammatory Outcomes Among African American Women.
- Browder, J. K.(2020). A Narrative Inquiry Into the Lived Experiences of Early Childhood Teachers Who Implemented Garden-Based Learning.
- Chinaeke, E. E.(2020). Treatment With Protease Inhibitor and Development of Diabetes Among Medicare Beneficiaries With Human Immune Virus/Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (HIV/AIDS).
- Cofie, A.(2020). Correlates of Maternal Health Service Use and Women’s Experiences Using Antenatal Care in Ghana: A Mixed-Methods Study.
- Constantinides, S. V.(2020). Determinants of Nutrition Agenda Setting in the Context of the Double Burden of Malnutrition in Tamil Nadu, India.
- Iruhiriye, E.(2020). Understanding the Role of Political Commitment and Coherence Across Sectors and Across National and Sub-National Levels in Enabling Improvements in Nutrition in Rwanda.
- Jesmin, R.(2020). Mechanistic Insight on Vibrio Gazogenes Mediated Intervention of Aflatoxin Biosynthesis in Aspergillus Flavus.
- Joy, B. K.(2020). Freedom and Food: Transformations and Continuities in Foodways Among the People Who Labored at Stono Plantation, James Island, South Carolina During the Eighteenth, Nineteenth, and Twentieth Centuries.
- Larsen, C.(2020). Piloting a Smartphone-Based Sedentary Behavior Reduction Intervention for Adults With Overweight or Obesity: Take a STAND 4 Health.
- McMullen, T. P.(2020). Does Marriage, Employment and Having Children Matter? A Secondary Analysis on Physical Activity Levels, Leisure Time Physical Activity, and Social Roles Among Women in the United States.
- Monalisa, N. N.(2020). Influences on Parents’ Food Shopping for Children’s Consumption in South Carolina.
- Murphy, K.(2020). The Development of Polymer Constructs for Adipose Tissue Engineering Applications.
- Omebeyinje, M. H.(2020). Understanding the Influence of Changing Climate on Mycotoxin Contamination of Food and Indoor Fungi-Mediated Respiratory Illness.
- Reyes, L. I.(2020). Social Networks, the Local Food Environment, and Maternal Food Choice for Children Ages 1 to 5 Years Old in Rural Mexico.
- Trivedi, T.(2020). Intracranial Atherosclerotic Stenosis and Its Association With Inflammation and Meditarrenean Diet.
- Whitt, O.(2020). Examining the Organizational Capacity of Public Libraries That Offer Obesity Prevention Programs.
- Zhang, Z.(2020). The Effects of Organic Products on Conventional Products and Retailer Assortment Planning.
- Crawford, B.(2020). Circulating Calcium, Phosphorus, and Parathyroid Hormone and Aggressive Prostate Cancer in the North Carolina-Louisiana Prostate Cancer Project.
- Davis-Martin, H.(2020). The Interaction Between Caffeine Consumption, Alcohol Use, and Amount of Sleep on Bone Health.
- Kipp, C.(2020). The Moderating Effects of Parenting Factors and Perceived Stress on African American Adolescent Weight Related Outcomes.
- Knoll, M.(2020). Association Between Urinary Enterolignans as a Marker for Gut Microbiome Diversity and Depression in NHANES.
- Meyerink, M. E.(2020). Identifying and Characterizing Transgenic Lines That Drive Gene Expression in the Adult Fat Body of the Drosophila Melanogaster.