Earning a graduate certificate can be quite a task, especially if you already have a busy schedule to manage. We offer both in-person and online options for this 18 credit-hour certificate. If you choose to pursue the online option, you'll be asked to attend an on-campus orientation and periodic in-person meetings.
We give all our students personal attention and hands-on training and our graduate certificate program is no exception. Whether you choose to study online or in-person, you'll have access to dedicated faculty who will act as mentors throughout your time with us.
Who Should Apply
- Individuals pursuing vocational or personal interests in the area of psychiatric rehabilitation or mental health
- Rehabilitation counselors
- Social workers
- Educational psychologists
- Marriage and family counselors
- Majors in psychology, public health, sociology, nursing, or education
This cross-disciplinary program will introduce you to the characteristics of severe long-term mental illnesses, assessment, treatment, rehabilitation methods and the recovery process.
Required Courses (9 semester hours)
- NPSY 755 Fundamentals of Psychiatric Rehabilitation
- NPSY 756 Vocational Implications of Psychiatric Disabilities
- NPSY 761 Dual Disorders
Two (2) Electives (6 semester hours)
You can choose from a broad list of electives at USC or other accredited colleges or universities that are approved by faculty.
- RCON 605 Culture and Disability
- NPSY 757 Psychopathology for Counselors
- NPSY 758 Classification and Assessment of Mental Disorders
- NPSY 760 Addictions Rehabilitation
- Any course from Rehabilitation Counseling Master’s Program OR
- Another course as approved by the Program Director
Field Study (3 semester hours)
- NPSY 890 Independent Study
How to Apply
We evaluate all applicants on their preparation and ability; we pay special attention to your work experience, practice interests, leadership ability and motivation.
- Bachelor's degree
- GRE or MAT scores
- Transcripts from undergraduate and graduate coursework
- Written statement of goals, work and volunteer experience
Submit Your Application
You can submit your application online at the USC Graduate School website. Once the Graduate School receives all your materials, we will be notified and begin reviewing your application.