Course restrictions may prohibit you from registering for a particular section of
Viewing Course Restrictions in Self Service Carolina
- Login to Self Service Carolina.
- Click on the Student Tab, then Registration Tile, and Browse Classes to search for a course.
- Click on the Course Title to bring up a pop-up box with additional course information
- Click on the Restrictions tab to view any course registration restrictions.
Viewing Course Restrictions on classes.sc.edu
- View the 'Identifying Class Registration Restrictions' video or,
- Go to the website classes.sc.edu
- Search for the class you are wanting to take and click on the specific section.
- View any Registration Restrictions and Registration Notes in the class section information.
Common Course Restrictions
- Course Section – Some sections are reserved for majors only; students in Opportunity Scholars or
Honors; or specific classification such as sophomores or above.
- Field of Study – The course may only be open to certain majors, minors, and concentrations.
- Honors Courses or Special Approval Required – The course may only be open to students in the South
Carolina Honors College or may require the student to obtain approval from the department
- Course Capacity – The course may be full.
- Pre-Requisites – You may not have the required pre-requisite.
- Co-Requisites – You may not have the correct co-requisite. If a course requires a co-requisite,
CRNs must be entered on the Add Classes Worksheet when the Submit button is pressed.
- Campus – The course may not be offered on your campus.
- Level – The course may be offered at a different level (Graduate, Undergraduate, Law, Medical,
- Alpha character - Course sections beginning with an alpha character are intended for specific student
populations. If you receive a “Student Attribute Restriction” when registering, please
check the alpha
character in the 3-digit section number. A list of common course sections with restrictions
are included in the table below.
|Preston Residential College Students
|Capstone Scholar Students
|South Carolina Honors College Students
|Online sections open to all students; be certain to check which campus the section
is designated for and only enroll in Columbia sections.
|Nursing students enrolled in online section
|Palmetto College Students
|International Accelerator Program Students
|Contract Courses; only open to students affiliated with the course contract
|Special populations including Living and Learning Communities
|Open to all students; sections scheduled by the Graduation and Retention Network
|Fort Jackson students