College of Arts and Sciences
|Office Hours:||T TH 4:15 – 5:15 pm|
Interdisciplinary Mathematics Institute
Department of Mathematics
|Doc. of Science||Mathematics||Sofia University||1983|
|1996 - Present||Professor||University of South Carolina|
|2009 - 2018||Director||Interdisciplinary Math. Institute, USC|
|1986 - 1996||Professor||Bulgarian Academy of Sciences|
|1982 - 1986||Senior Research Fellow||Bulgarian Academy of Sciences|
|1977 - 1982||Research Fellow||Bulgarian Academy of Sciences|
Dr. Petrushev is mainly interested in problems from Approximation Theory, Harmonic Analysis, and Numerical Analysis. In particular, he is interested in spaces of distributions such as Hardy, Besov and Triebel-Lizorkin spaces in harmonic, nonclassical, anisotropic and geometric settings as well as the construction of bases and frames for such spaces. Dr. Petrushev has obtained important results in nonlinear approximation from rational functions, splines, frames, ridge functions and other dictionaries. He is also interested in the applications of Approximation theory, including Geomagnetic and Geopotential field modeling. Dr. Petrushev is on the editorial boards of several prestigious mathematics journals: Foundations of Computational Mathematics, Constructive Approximation, SIAM Journal on Mathematical Analysis, Journal of Fourier Analysis and Applications, Transactions of Mathematics and Its Applications. His research has been supported by NSF, DOD/NGA, NEH, DARPA. Currently Dr. Petrushev has two active grants: (i) NSF-DMS-1714369: "Nonlinear approximation in geometric, harmonic and anisotropic settings with applications", 2017 - 2020, and (ii) NGA/DOD-HM04761812002: "Highly Effective Computational Methods in Geomagnetic Field Modeling", 2018 - 2023.
- G. Kerkyacharian, S. Ogawa, P. Petrushev, D. Picard, Regularity of Gaussian processes on Dirichlet spaces, Constr. Approx. 47 (2018), no. 2, 277–320.
- K. Ivanov, P. Petrushev, Harmonic Besov and Triebel-Lizorkin spaces on the ball, J. Fourier Anal. Appl. 23 (2017), no. 5, 1062–1096.
- G. Kerkyacharian, P. Petrushev, Heat kernel based decomposition of spaces of distributions in the framework of Dirichlet spaces, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 367 (2015), no.1, 121-189.
- G. Kyriazis, P. Petrushev, Rational bases for spaces of holomorphic functions in the disc, J. Lond. Math. Soc. (2) 8 (2014), no. 2, 434-460.
- K. Ivanov, P. Petrushev, Yuan Xu, Decomposition of spaces of distributions induced by tensor product bases, J. Funct. Anal. 263 (2012), no. 5, 1147-1197.