Skip to Content

Department of Mathematics

Assessment FAQs

This information is for all newly admitted freshmen and transfer students.

Required Scores

The following table lists the lowest MAP score needed to register for the most common Math courses at UofSC. Note that a C or better in another course can satisfy the prerequisite for some Math courses.

MATH Course
Course Title
Math Level
Minimum No. of Correct Answers
Needed in each MAP Level
MAP score
C or Better
Intensive Basic College Mathematics
0 to 3 in MAP1
0 - 3
Basic College Mathematics
4 in Map1
Precalculus Mathematics
7 in MAP1 + 4 in MAP2
Calculus for Business Administration and
Social Scinces
7 in MAP1 + 7 in MAP2
141 with 151
Calculus I with Calculus Workshop I
7 in MAP1 + 7 MAP2 + 4 in MAP3
Calculus I Advanced 7 in MAP1 + 7 in MAP2 + 7 in MAP3 217
Finite Mathematics
7 in MAP1 + 4 in MAP2
Discrete Mathematics for Computer Science
7 in MAP1 + 7 in MAP2 + 4 in MAP3
115, 122, or 141
Basic Concepts of Elementary Mathematics I
7 in MAP1 + 4 in MAP2

Note: Math 151 is a corequisite course.

Frequently Asked Questions about the MAP

 If you have been admitted to UofSC, then you have a UofSC Network username and password.

To find them, go to Then, click the "View my IDs and manage my passwords" and use your VIP ID to log in. This page will show your UofSC Network Username and allow you to change your password. Your username and password will be used to log into Blackboard and access the Mathematics Assessment of Prequisites test.

Every student at UofSC is required to complete an Analytical Reasoning and Problem Solving (ARP) requirement for their general education. Depending upon the student's major, there may or may not be a way to fulfill this requirement without taking a mathematics course, but the vast majority of all UofSC students take at least some mathematics before completing their undergraduate degree. These students are faced with a very important decision: Which MATH course should you take first? The Mathematics Assessment of Prerequisites is designed to help answer this question.

Many factors influence a student's success in a college-level calculus course, either MATH 122 or MATH 141 at UofSC. The National Mathematics Advisory Panel recently found that algebraic manipulation, fractions, and problem solving are the three most important mathematical skills needed to develop the mathematical and technological understandings needed for the 21st century.

The results of the Mathematics Assessment of Prerequisites are our best estimate of the student's current mathematical readiness for college-level mathematics.

You must meet the prerequisite for any MATH course that you take at UofSC. If you meet this with transfer credits then you do not need to take the MAP. If you do not have appropriate transfer credits then you will need to take the Mathematics Assessment of Prerequisites.

Students whose programs of study start with MATH 141 but who start in MATH 115 will take only one extra mathematics course; the other courses will be required courses. This will make you at most one course behind but should not delay your graduation. On the other hand, taking a course for which you are not ready can lead to lower, or even failing grades, and is likely to delay your graduation.

However, students also need to be aware that several courses in their programs of study may have MATH 141 as a pre- or co-requisite. If these courses are not completed until later, graduation in four years becomes more difficult.

Students whose academic program depends critically upon taking MATH 141 in their first semester but place into MATH 115 are strongly encouraged to seek ways to improve their math preparation and retaking the MAP before their first full-time semester at UofSC. Some options include taking a Precalculus course at a local technical college (or UofSC) or self-study with the MAP Practice test.

The results of the MAP will not have any impact on the credits you have previously earned through the AP program. You will most likely attend Orientation before you know the results of the AP exams, so taking the MAP is encouraged as a back-up. If you know your AP/IB score but it has not yet been entered on your UofSC academic record, you should request a Temporary Prerequisite Override and provide documentation of your pending score.

Students with documented disabilities should contact the Office of Student Disability Services. They can work with you to determine what accommodations are appropriate for your situation.

We will follow their recommendations to ensure you have an opportunity to take the MAP under conditions that allow you to demonstrate your current knowledge of mathematics.

You must meet the prerequisites for any MATH course for which you want to register. Since registration is part of Orientation, not taking the MAP prior to attending Orientation decreases the likelihood that you will be able to complete registration at Orientation. Students may use a UofSC computer lab on their own after Orientation, but there is no time during the actual Orientation day itself. Students cannot skip ANY part of the Orientation program to take the MAP.

You can take the MAP three (3) times before the semester starts and until the last day to change/drop a course during the first week of classes. 

If you wish to retake the MAP, please fill out the Take/Retake MAP online request form, which will be processed within two days of your last attempt.  We highly encourage you to study what you missed previously and take the Practice tests during this two-day period.

Your most recent MAP or MPT score is the one that will be used for determining eligibility for 100-level MATH courses

If your major requires a Math course that you have not already completed, you must have evidence you have taken an equivalent Math course at the University of South Carolina or take the Math Assessment of Prerequisites.

Students who are transferring Math credit into UofSC will be allowed to register for Math courses based upon the existing prerequisites which the transfer credit satisfies or meet Math requirements for their major if applicable. Students can review the Course Equivalency Table to confirm transferability of courses.

Equivalent math courses must have a grade of ‘C’ or higher.

Students planning to transfer math credit, whose official transcripts have not been processed, should take the MAP to allow advisors to recommend Math courses if needed as part of advisement. Completing the MAP does not replace any transfer credit awarded.

Students who do not have the transfer credit needed to satisfy Math requirements or Math prerequisites will need to complete the MAP.


Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.