The first step in applying to the Washington Semester Program is to submit the online application.
In addition to the online application, applicants are responsible for ensuring that the following materials reach the Washington Semester Program by the application deadline:
- A statement (approx. 500 words) that discusses how the Washington Semester Program relates to your personal, academic and professional goals.
- A current resume.
- A transcript showing all college-level work attempted, including the current semester. It need not be an official transcript. It must show the classes you have taken, the grades earned and the cumulative GPA.
- Two letters of recommendation addressed to "The Selection Committee". At least one of the letters must be from a college faculty member familiar with your academic work. Past or current employers or others who can address your work ethic and ability to work well with others are also encouraged. Letters from family members, roommates or others similarly close to you are not accepted. Please give people adequate notice and a deadline when requesting a letter of recommendation. If you have questions, please contact the Director of Internship Programs. The recommendation letters may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A statement from your honors director will be obtained from the USC Director of Internship Programs stating that you are an active member in good standing of your school's honors program. In programs that allow non-honors college students to apply, your GPA must be 3.5 or higher and you must complete the standard application process.
- All University of South Carolina students must submit a completed FERPA Waiver consent to release form [pdf].
Please note that it is preferable and recommended that you send all of the application components (except for the online application) in one packet. This will ensure that you can verify the receipt of all pieces, especially the letters of recommendation. All mailed materials must arrive by the application deadline not postmarked by deadline.
All application materials should be submitted by the deadline via UPS, USPS, FedEx or other courier services to:
Honors College, Harper 120
902 Sumter St.
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208