If after reviewing this information you have additional questions, it is recommended that you start by talking with your student hire representative. Your student hire representative will be able to either answer your question or direct you to the appropriate resource.
- A student employee’s work schedule (i.e., the number of hours works, and specific hours worked) is typically based on the needs of the supervisor and the student employee’s availability.
- Undergraduate student employees should not be hired to work more than 20 hours per week during academic terms in which they are enrolled and 37.5 hours per week during their off academic term and official school breaks.
- Undergraduate students working multiple jobs may not work more than a combined 40 hours per week across all the jobs.
- It is recommended that graduate student employees work no more than 20 hours per week.
- Student employees may not work more than 20 per week in a federal work-study position under program regulations.
- International student employees may not work more than 20 hours per week except during official school breaks. For more information, visit International Student Services.
Student employees are not eligible to receive vacation or sick leave. Arrangements for time off without pay are negotiated and approved by you including time off during academic break periods. Make sure to discuss your preferred means of communication and documentation regarding absences with your student employees.
Student employees are not eligible for holiday pay. In university offices where services are maintained on holidays and students are scheduled to work, the rate of pay is at the regular hourly rate. For more information and a list of holidays review the UofSC Holiday Schedule.
It is important to note that student employees are NOT considered mandatory employees. In the event that classes are canceled but the University has reduced or suspended operations, student employees are not required to report to work. For more information review university policy HR 1.18.Hazardous Weather and Emergency Leave.