Being a Peer Mentor is a fantastic way for upperclassmen to make a difference for new students as they transition to UofSC, meet new people, build leadership and relationship skills, and have fun!
As a Peer Mentor, you will have a small group of “mentees” (new freshmen) that you will connect with individually and as a small group. Communication with Mentees is a must, and the Peer Mentor Program allows Mentors flexibility in how they achieve this.
Peer Mentors are trained throughout the spring and early fall and held to high expectations as not only students, but as leaders of the Honors College. Please review the responsibilities and expectations outlined in the Peer Mentor Agreement below before applying and email the Peer Mentor Program Coordinator, Cami Reid, with any questions.
Mentor Application Process
The Peer Mentor application process occurs during the spring semester before the academic year in which they would serve as Peer Mentors. The selection process is designed to help applicants get to know new people, learn about themselves, and gain important skills. To apply, candidates participate in a selection process that includes:
- Submitting an application, a brief resume, an introduction video, and one letter of reference
- Attending a small group interview with the Coordinator, 1-2 other applicants, and either an experienced Peer Mentor or additional SCHC staff member
Want to learn more about being a Peer Mentor?
Attend a Peer Mentor Interest Meeting!
- Wednesday, 2/2: Honors B110, 1-1:30 pm
- Thursday, 2/3: Zoom, 4:30 – 5 pm (link here!)
- Friday, 2/4: Honors B110, 3:30 - 4 pm
- Must be a currently enrolled full-time student who has completed 30 USC credit hours.
- Be in good academic standing with the Honors College with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Must have demonstrated exemplary personal conduct in accordance with the Carolinian Creed.
- Tuesday, 2/1: Mentor Applications Open
- Monday, 2/14: Returning Mentor Applications Due – Priority Deadline
- Wednesday, 2/16: Returning Mentor Interviews via Microsoft Teams
- Friday, 2/18: Returning Mentor Interviews via Microsoft Teams
- Monday, 2/21: New Mentor Application Due – Priority Deadline
- Wednesday, 2/23: New Mentor Interviews
- Friday, 2/25: New Mentor Interviews
- Wednesday, 3/2: New Mentor Interviews
- Friday, 3/11: Selected mentors notified
- Friday, 3/18: Deadline for candidates to accept/deny
- Tuesday, 2/1: Mentor Application Opens
- Friday, March 11: Mentor Application Due – Final Round
- Friday, 3/18: Round 2 Interviews
- Friday, 3/25: Round 2 Interviews
- Wednesday, 3/30: Selected Mentors notified
- Friday, 4/1: Deadline for candidates to accept/deny
All positions on the executive board will be open for the 2022-2023 school year. More information to come about position responsibilities and application requirements!
- Friday, 4/1: Deadline for mentors to apply for executive board elections
- Monday – Friday, 4/4 - 4/8: Executive Board Elections
- Sunday, 4/10: Election Voting Closes
- Tuesday, 4/12: New Executive Board Members announced
- Friday, 4/22: Meeting of outgoing/incoming board members
Peer Mentors will be asked to attend 3 training sessions between April and September 2022. At least 8 training sessions will be offered.
Tentative spring training dates are as follows:
- Monday, 4/4: Mentor Training, 3:30-4:30 pm
- Wednesday, 4/6: Mentor Training, 3:30-4:30 pm
- Friday, 4/8: Mentor Training, 3:30-4:30 pm