As a mentor, you will have a small group of “mentees” (new freshmen) that you will connect with individually and as a small group.
Being a mentor is a great way for an upperclassman to connect with new students, share wisdom and advice that you learned about being an honors student here at UofSC. This position is also a way to be involved in leadership within the Honors College.
The work for this position will largely be something to schedule at your own convenience, but there will be some expectations that will be laid out for the position to make sure the mentors are connecting with their mentees.
Mentor Application Process
The Peer Mentor recruitment and selection process begins in January 2021 and will conclude February 2021. The selection process is designed to help applicants get to know new people, learn about themselves and gain important skills. To apply, candidates participate in a selection process that includes:
- Completing an application, submitting a resume, and providing one letter of reference.
- There will be information sessions available as well as drop-in hours to help applicants craft their materials.
- Attending an individual interview which will take place February 2021.
- Must be a currently enrolled full-time student who has completed 30 USC credit hours.
- Be in good academic standing with the Honors College with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Must have demonstrated exemplary personal conduct in accordance with the Carolinian Creed.
- January: Application is available
- January/ February : Information sessions/Ask a Mentor
- February 15: Application is due
- February 17-19: Candidate interviews ( virtual)
- Late February: Acceptance notifications are sent
2021-2022 APPLICATION DEADLINE: JUNE 15, 2021