As a mentor, you will have a small group of “mentees” (new freshmen) that you will connect with individually and as a small group.
Being a mentor is a great way for an upperclassman to connect with new students, share wisdom and advice that you learned about being an honors student here at UofSC. This position is also a way to be involved in leadership within the Honors College.
The work for this position will largely be something to schedule at your own convenience, but there will be some expectations that will be laid out for the position to make sure the mentors are connecting with their mentees.
Mentor Application Process
The Peer Mentor recruitment & selection process begins in November and will concludes in February. The selection process is designed to help applicants get to know new people, learn about themselves and gain important skills. To apply, candidates participate in a selection process that includes:
- Completing an application, submitting a resume, and providing one letter of reference
- There will be information sessions available as well as drop-in hours to help applicants craft their materials
- Attending the Peer Mentor Candidate Dialogue which will take place late January 2020
- Attending an individual interview which will take place February 2020
- Must be a currently enrolled full-time student who has completed 30 USC credit hours.
- Be in good academic standing with the Honors College with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Must have demonstrated exemplary personal conduct in accordance with the Carolinian Creed.
- Early November: Application is available
- November: Information session/Ask a Mentor
- December: Second information session/Ask a Mentor
- January 21: Application is due
- Late January: Peer Mentor Candidate Dialogue
- February: Candidate interviews
- Late February: Acceptance notifications are sent
2020/2021 APPLICATION DEADLINE: JANUARY 21, 2020