Our Honors Ambassador team consists of approximately 16-18 members during the academic year. Time commitments vary throughout the semester, but Ambassadors average 3-5 hours a week and are paid $10 per hour. Ambassadors are required to attend biweekly meetings (every other Friday, from 2:30p.m. - 4:00p.m.) during the semester for ongoing training and professional development, and are required to participate in at least one weekend recruiting event per semester. Ambassadors should be comfortable with public speaking and collaborating with others.
Honors Ambassadors in Action
- Ambassadors assist with information sessions and admitted student panels where they present to prospective students and share detailed information about the South Carolina Honors College and their personal experiences in the Honors College.
- Information Sessions take place every Monday and Friday between 11:15am - 1:00pm. They are offered year-round.
- Admitted Student Panels take place every Monday and Friday between 9:45am - 11:15am. They are offered between the months of February and April.
- Ambassadors represent the Honors College at recruitment events (Meet the SCHC, Open Houses, etc.) and assist with outreach efforts to prospective students and their parents.
- Additional responsibilities may include meeting with visitors, responding to inquiries from prospective students, recruiting new Honors Ambassadors, participating in weekend events for prospective/admitted students, and other duties as assigned.
Eligibility and Expectations
- Applicants must have completed at least one semester in the Honors College prior to the application deadline and must be in good standing.
- Unfortunately, we will not be able to consider applicants who are graduating in May 2023, August 2023, or December 2023.
- Applicants must be available on Fridays from 2:30p.m. - 4:00p.m, as all Ambassadors are expected to attend biweekly meetings for ongoing training and professional development.
Factors in Consideration
When reviewing applicants, we first consider the make-up of our current team of Ambassadors and then seek to add new Ambassadors who complement the availability of our team as well as the majors and experiences that we have represented. Our goal is to have a well-rounded and diverse group of Ambassadors who can speak to many aspects of the student experience and the diversity that exists within the Honors College.
Students of all majors and backgrounds are encouraged to apply. In this application cycle, we are particularly interested in students of diverse races, ethnicities, and geographic areas as well as students in the following areas: Humanities (History, English, Global Studies, Anthropology, Sociology, etc.), BARSC, Pre-Law, and students in the College of Engineering and Computing or the College of Information and Communications. Let us know what unique perspective you can contribute to our team!
Applications for the Fall 2023 semester will open on Wednesday, March 1. You can find the application here.
Prospective applicants are encouraged to attend our virtual interest meeting on Tuesday, February 28 from 4:30p.m. - 5:00p.m. to learn more about what the position entails.