Log in with your UofSC Admissions Portal credentials to access the application. Deadline is July 8, 2022 by 11:59 PM EDT.
The Honors College and the University of South Carolina School of Medicine offer an accelerated and combined 7-year (3+4) program that results in the undergraduate degree from UofSC and the medical degree from the UofSC School of Medicine in Columbia. This fast track degree program is called the BARSC-MD, which represents the two degrees it awards.
Who should apply?
The application is only available to incoming Honors freshmen and is one of the most rigorous and challenging programs offered by the Honors College. Admission is highly competitive and fewer than 10 students (out of 500+ Honors freshmen) are admitted each fall.
The strongest candidates have excellent academic credentials, already have a strong and demonstrated interest in a career in medicine and have a desire to embark upon their medical studies a year early.
Students MUST commit to attend the UofSC School of Medicine – Columbia. Upon acceptance to the cohort, students will automatically be enrolled in the accelerated pre-medicine concentration of the BARSC major. Students will also sign a contract showing their commitment to the BARSC-MD program and intention to enroll at UofSC School of Medicine-Columbia. Enrollment at the School of Medicine begins in the 4th year of undergraduate work.
How do I apply?
The application is available here beginning June 3, and all students will be notified via their UofSC email and provided access to the application. The deadline to submit the application is July 8.
What information is requested on the application?
The BARSC-MD review committee will access information previously collected for general UofSC admission and Honors Admission. In addition, applicants must submit:
- An ACT or SAT score – if score is unavailable, applicant will still be considered. However, standardized testing is an important component of medical education and medicine and part of our holistic review of the applicant as a candidate for the BARSC-MD program.
- Short responses to questions designed to better understand motivation for a career in medicine, character, and personal growth.
- Personal Statement – this includes how an applicant developed their health care interest; what are their unique and special qualities; why they want to attend USC SOM – Columbia; why the applicant would like to shorten their undergraduate experience by one year, etc.
- Resume – reviewers are looking for an applicant’s experiences in health science, leadership, community service, working with others to achieve a common goal.
- Letter of recommendation from an individual who can speak to your fit for the BARSC-MD program and your passion for and experience in the fields of science and health.
What happens after I complete the application?
Top candidates are notified in August and are invited to a second round application process that includes an interview with physician faculty at the UofSC School of Medicine. Interviews typically happen in September. Acceptances to the program are released shortly after the interviews are complete.
What if I want additional information?
Answers to BARSC-MD frequently asked questions can be found here, along with an email address that students can use if they have more specific questions.