Submit an application
Application submission will close July 10, 2023.
Note: Only complete applications will be accepted. Submission guidelines are available on the Application Requirements page.
Comprehensive Award Package
The Paul P. Fidler Research Grant award includes a cash stipend, travel to two national conferences, a presentation at a national conference, and priority consideration for publication. Specifically, the grant's comprehensive award package includes:
- Stipend of $5,000, payable either directly to individual researchers or through the researcher(s)' institution(s). The National Resource Center for The First-Year Experience and Students in Transition will not pay institutional overhead or indirect costs.
- Travel to the 30th National Conference on Students in Transition, October 2023, at which the award will be presented
- Travel to the 31st National Conference on Students in Transition, October 2024, at which the research findings will be reported
- Announcement on the National Resource Center webpage, listservs, and print publications
- Priority consideration for publication by the National Resource Center.
The Paul P. Fidler Research Grant competition is open to faculty, staff, and graduate students who plan to conduct research on issues of college student transitions. Cross-institutional research teams are encouraged to apply for the Paul P. Fidler Research Grant. The following individuals are not eligible and may not be included as part of proposed research teams: National Resource Center staff and fellows; current members of our National or International Advisory Boards; and students, staff, and faculty of the University of South Carolina system.
The staff of the National Resource Center will conduct an initial review of all completed proposals to ensure they meet the criteria guidelines and submission requirements of the Fidler grant. Proposals that meet the submission guidelines and requirements will be blind-reviewed and evaluated by an external review board of leading research scholars and practitioners in the field of higher education.
The external review board will nominate up to five finalists for the Paul P. Fidler Research Grant. The finalists' proposals will then be blind-reviewed and evaluated by a panel of scholar-judges selected from our current National Advisory Board.
Applicants submitting full proposals by July 10, 2023 will be notified of their award status by September 29, 2023. Reviewer comments will be made available to interested applicants after the grant recipient is announced at the National Conference on Students in Transition.