Faculty and Staff
Sanjeev Sivakumar, M.D.
|Adjunct Associate Professor
|School of Medicine Greenville
|200B Patewood Drive
Greenville SC 29615
|Sanjeev Sivakumar, MD, is a Neurologist and Medical Director of Neurocritical Care at Prisma Health Neurology- Upstate. Before joining Prisma Health in 2017, Dr. Sivakumar completed a residency in Neurology from Wayne State University in Detroit, followed by a Neurocritical Care fellowship from Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. Dr. Sivakumar is dual board certified in Neurocritical Care by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, and the United Council for Neurologic Subspecialties. He is also specialty board certified by the American Society of Neuroimaging in Neurosonology/ Transcranial Doppler Ultrasonography.
His expertise and research focus on ischemic and hemorrhagic cerebrovascular disease and stroke, traumatic intracranial hypertension, emergency neurologic care and critical care. He is actively engaged in teaching, training, and mentoring medical students and Neurology residents at the University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville and at the Prisma Health Center for Neurology. In addition, he is the site Principal Investigator for the Southeast Collaborative Alliance for Stroke Trials at Prisma Health–Upstate, which conducts interdisciplinary clinical trials on stroke prevention, treatment and recovery.
|- As a critical care Neurologist, I enjoy bedside teaching and instructing for Neurology residents and medical students rotating in the Neuro ICU, with an emphasis on neurological evaluation of unresponsive and comatose adult patients in critical care units.
- Clinical neuro anatomical localization in the in-patient neuroscience teams
- As core teaching faculty for the Neurology residency program, I participate in bedside teaching, clinical instruction, and staffing patients with a wide variety of neurological symptoms and diagnoses in the Center of Neurology clinic at Greer, SC
- Cerebrovascular pathophysiology, cerebral blood flow and intracranial hypertension, transcranial doppler ultrasound and use in Neurological critical care, management of Neurological emergencies, Neuroimaging in Stroke and demyelinating disease are some of my topical interests on which I have taught courses and given lectures annually.
|- As site Principal Investigator for the Southeast Collaborative Alliance for Stroke Trials (SECoAST) at Prisma Health–Upstate, I am involved in the successful conduct of several clinical trials in cerebrovascular disease and stroke. These clinical trials span acute stroke treatments, stroke prevention, and recovery. Several of these clinical trials are funded by the National Institute of Health (NIH)
- I am also interested in outcomes research, among patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage, intracerebral hemorrhage, traumatic intracranial hypertension, status epilepticus among other neurological emergencies
- Non invasive neuromonitoring
|Honors & Awards:
|Certificate of Appreciation: Fastest Door to Thrombolytic administration. Laurens County ER
Presidential Citation Award
Faculty educator award, Department of Emergency Medicine
Golden Peach Award, for excellence in 3rd and 4th year medical student clinical education
Best Adult Neurology Rotator
Resident Travel Scholorship
The Founder Chancellor-Harvard-Student Enrichment Scholarship
Best House Officer
Resident Travel Scholarship
Distinction in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Traveling Fellowship Award
Distinction in Pathology, Microbiology, Pharmacology and Forensic Medicine
Gold Medal in Microbiology and Immunology
Distinction in Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry
|American Society of Neuroimaging
Association of Indian Neurologists in America
Other - Life Member
Society of Critical Care Medicine
Neuro Critical Care Society
American Academy of Neurology
Neurocritical Care Society
Other - Annual Meeting Committee