We prepare physicians committed to improving the health and wellness of your family and your community through creative teaching, innovative research and quality clinical care.
Cultivate a culture of curiosity and commitment to others to transform the health and wellness of communities.
The USC School of Medicine Greenville
- will be responsive to the changing health care needs of our society.
- will strive to consider the needs of the students, faculty and administration in a manner which enhances the stature of both USC and GHS.
- understands that healthcare delivery is constantly evolving and that its physician graduates should facilitate and advocate transformation that improves care provision.
- will be integrated with all aspects of the GHS delivery system.
- will graduate physicians who understand and participate in research that compares the relative clinical effectiveness and outcomes of various treatments.
- supports development of a healthcare workforce that reflects future societal needs and the diversity of the communities served.
- will educate physicians to be champions for patient safety, standardization, evidence based care and quality; responsive to the medical needs of their community; sensitive to the societal cost of medicine; activists for the education of the future healthcare workforce; and practitioners that care for all patients regardless of race, social stature or ability to pay.
- students will practice patient-centered care that values the interdependent roles of healthcare providers and facilities in service to their patients.
- will produce physicians competent not only in medical knowledge, technical skill and patient care, but also in compassion, collaborative interpersonal communication, professional responsibility and ethical behavior.
- believes that candidates for medical school who value professionalism and possess exceptional interpersonal communication skills can be prepared, identified and selected to become successful practicing physicians.
- will establish a learning environment that emphasizes the relationship between undergraduate medical education and the real world of patient care.
- strives to alleviate the cost of medical education as a significant barrier to student matriculation and graduation, or as a factor in the selection of a career specialty.
- utilizes policies and procedures that synergistically combine the academic virtues of USC with the operational efficiencies of GHS to the benefit of its students, faculty and staff.
- faculty will emphasize and demonstrate the clinical import of the materials that they teach.
- faculty selection, development and promotion processes will favor those committed to their profession as a calling and who view their teaching ability as a gift and privilege.
- graduates will be fully prepared and highly competitive to enter graduate medical education.
- appreciates that access to medical information is constantly changing and that educational focus must continually emphasize methods to optimally acquire the most current knowledge.
- will utilize educational resources, infrastructure and technology in a fiscally responsible manner, incorporating external resources in the education of healthcare students when advantageous.