About the program
This initiative is intended to assist full-time (FTE) professional, tenure-track or tenured faculty members with funding of up to $1,500 to give one presentation at a conference, symposium, or workshop per year (initiative call).
September 19, 2022
Application deadline for travel from October 15, 2022 through January 14, 2023.
January 3, 2023
Application deadline for travel from January 15, 2023 through April 14, 2023.
March 15, 2023
Application deadline for travel from April 15, 2023 through October 15, 2023.
Chairing a panel, organizing a session, or simply attending a conference, symposium, or workshop will not be supported. Travel funded by this initiative must be scheduled and completed by September 15, 2023. Registration for virtual conferences can be covered by this initiative.
Travel must be taken after the award is granted; no funds will be awarded for previous travel. Each individual faculty member is limited to one funded travel application per annual call. Funding will only apply to the request made in the award; retroactive requests to change the purpose of the award will not be considered. Further restrictions are identified below.
Funding will be provided in the form of reimbursement; requests for reimbursement must be made within 30 days of the expense(s) being incurred. Faculty members may apply for funding in anticipation of conference, symposium, or workshop participation during the initiative call period. If the application is approved for funding, faculty members will only be reimbursed with proper documentation proving participation in the meeting (scanned copy or picture of program with your name listed as presenting).
There will be three 2022-2023 application deadlines for this initiative:
- September 19, 2022: Application deadline for travel from October 15, 2022 through January 14, 2023.
- January 3, 2023: Application deadline for travel from January 15, 2023 through April 14, 2023.
- March 15, 2023: Application deadline for travel from April 15, 2023 through October 15, 2023.
The application materials should be submitted via the online application at the bottom of this page. All attachments should use 12-point font size and 1-inch margins and be submitted in 8.5" x 11" PDF format unless otherwise noted in the instructions.
- Applicants must submit a current vita (4-page maximum) along with a brief proposal (1-page maximum) specifying the dates and destination of the planned travel and justifying the importance of participation in the event to the applicant’s research.
- Applications must also identify all current and pending support (including startup and retention funds), along with an explanation of how requested funds are needed/different from current and pending funding. Potential overlapping funding will be taken into consideration when reviewing applications.
- The applicant must also include an itemized budget with justification indicating the estimated cost of travel.
- Applicants must also include a copy of the official notification of acceptance from the conference or workshop organizers. If applying prospectively for funding for anticipated travel, applicants must submit official notification and provide a copy of pages from the conference program indicating their participation as part of the reimbursement process.
Department Head Statement of Support
The applicant's department chair must also submit a brief statement of support (1-page maximum). The statement should indicate that the department will either (1) provide matching funds equivalent to the requested amount, up to $1,200 or (2) commit to providing $1,200 for travel for this faculty member during the fiscal year.
Award Recipient Report
Each award recipient must submit a one-page summary of accomplishments or achievements to the dean’s office within 30 days of completion of research, travel, or equipment purchase. The summary must be submitted using “summary_ [name of initiative]_[last name of faculty member]” as the filename.