Institute rescheduled to April 2021
The Institute on First-Generation College Students originally scheduled for July 22-24, 2020 has been rescheduled to April 2021.
Individual sessions are designed to build on one another so that participants leave
with a personalized action plan for use on their home campuses. Modeling the active
pedagogies we advocate for our classrooms, the institute faculty employ group work,
problem solving, case studies, discussion, and other active strategies to engage participants
We at the National Resource Center firmly believe participants will find this institute to be a rich and rewarding experience, whether your institution is already involved in initiatives for first-generation students or is currently designing and creating new initiatives.
- Defining the first-generation student
- Understanding first-generation students and their needs
- Identifying factors that contribute to success for first-generation students
- Discerning elements of a comprehensive institutional approach to first-generation success
- Developing curricular and cocurricular strategies and initiatives tailored for first-generation students
- Strategizing to gain institutional support for first-generation programs
- Defining the role of faculty and staff in first-generation student success
- Assessing programs and strategies for supporting first-generation students
If you have any questions about the content of organization of this event, please contact the Conferences staff at email@example.com. Information about this Institute and other events sponsored by the Center can be found at www.sc.edu/fye.