Institute faculty will build a framework where participants can engage in discussions with colleagues, examine trends and practices connected to first-year seminars, and identify new strategies to ensure the success of first-year students.
Individual sessions have been designed to build on one another so that participants leave with a personalized action plan for use on their home campuses. Modeling the active pedagogies we advocate for our classrooms, the Institute faculty employ group work, problem solving, case studies, and other strategies to engage participants in learning.
We at the National Resource Center firmly believe that participants will find this
Institute to be a rich and rewarding experience, whether their first-year program
is in its first year or its thirtieth year.
University of South Carolina Alumni Center
900 Senate St
Columbia, SC 29201
- History and status of first-year seminars
- Institutionalizing and sustaining first-year seminars
- Assessing first-year seminars
- Implementing change as a result of assessment
- Establishing valuable partnerships across campus
- Practices to recruit, train, and retain faculty
- Focused teaching strategies