Faculty and Staff
Kathleen Bradshaw, PhD, RN, PNP, CNE, ANEF
|Title:||Professor and Executive Academic Strategist
|College of Nursing|
College of Nursing
Dr. Bradshaw has vast experience in pediatric nursing and nursing education. She practiced as a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner in both rehabilitation and primary care settings. Her academic experience includes higher education institutions in Virginia, Michigan, Colorado and South Carolina. She has served in academic administration as an Associate Dean, Director and Dean of Nursing, and currently serves UofSC as an Executive Academic Strategist.
Dr. Bradshaw has taught at all levels, including BSN, MSN, DNP and PhD, with specialty focuses of pediatrics, research, leadership and health care policy.
- Healthcare workforce and education issues: policy issues, shortages, recruitment, retention, barriers, solutions, job satisfaction, educational and practice transition issues, nursing education, professional development, mentorship, workplace cohesiveness, issues with incivility (student, faculty and administrative levels), interdisciplinary and inter-professional work, leadership, community engagement
- Rural health care issues: Workforce, health care disparities
- Smoking and tobacco cessation and public policy in all age populations
- Pediatric issues: Policy issues, health promotion, obesity prevention
Dr. Bradshaw has disseminated her research and scholarship through peer reviewed publications, monographs, newsletters and peer reviewed presentations.
Professional Service (Selected present and past)
- Education for Hope, Uganda Non-Government Agency, Member, Board of Directors
- Sigma Theta Tau International, Research and Scholarship Advisory Board
- Southern Regional Education Board, Council of Colleges of Education for Nursing,
- Finance Committee Chair and Board member.
- Future of Nursing: Campaign for Action, Robert Wood Johnson, State Co-Chair SC
- Society of Pediatric Nurses, Member
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing, Dean/Director representative
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing, Governmental Liaison
- National League for Nursing, member
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculty, member
- Sigma Theta Tau International, Beta Kappa Chapter, member (1980-96); Nu Iota Chapter,
Counselor and Board member, Eligibility committee (1996-98); Phi Xi Chapter, Secretary (1999-2000),
Treasurer (2000-2003) and Board member (1999-2003); Epsilon Psi Chapter, President-Elect (2008-
2009); Zeta Omicron (2012-2013: Vice President), Alpha Xi Chapter (2014-2016), Rho Pi (2016-19)
- Western Institute of Nursing, Member and 1997-98 Delegate
- National Rural Health Association, member
- Virginia Rural Health Association, President-Elect
- Virginia Association of Colleges of Nursing, Board Member and Treasurer
- Virginia Nurses Association, member
- Valley Health System – Nursing Advisory Board
- INOVA Health System – Nursing Advisory Board for Residency Program
- South Carolina Hospital Association Workforce Advisory Board, member
- South Carolina Nurse Educators Deans/Directors Council, member, Program Committee member, Civility Task Force, member
- Colorado Organization of Nurse Leaders, member
- Colorado Center for Nursing Excellence, Board of Directors, Chair of Finance Committee
- Colorado Action Coalition, RWJ Future of Nursing IOM state task force
- Colorado Association of Colleges of Nursing, secretary
- Colorado Tobacco Education and Prevention Project Committee, Board Member
- Maternal-child nursing – labor & delivery, post partum and newborn units (VA)
- Pediatrics – primary care clinics (VA, MI, NV and CO), acute care (Children’s Hospitals – VA and MI) and rehabilitation (Children’s Hospitals – VA and MI)
Research Studies (Selected)
- Rural and Urban Health Workforce Recruitment, retention and job satisfaction
- Tobacco cessation studies (pediatrics, women’s health -pregnancy, adult)
- Children’s literacy for obesity/nutrition
- Academic transition issues – RN-BSN
- Team building for job satisfaction
- Academic incivility issues – students, faculty and administrators
LaSala, K.B., Polyakova-Norwood, V., Starnes-Ott, K. (2019). Initiation of a nursing education curriculum that is accessible to all learners. Journal of Professional Nursing, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2019.08.022
LaSala, K.B., Wilson, V., Sprunk, E. (2016). Nursing academic administrators lived experiences with incivility and bullying from faculty: Consequences and outcomes demanding action. Nursing Educator, 41(3),120-124.
LaSala, K.B., Gorton, K. (2015). Students’ Academic Transition Issues: Associate Degree to Baccalaureate Nursing. Journal of Nursing and Care, 4:1, 1-6. http://doi.org/10.4172/2167-1168.1000231
Gorton, K., LaSala, K.B. (2015). Forming academy/community partnerships to help alleviate the clinical placement crisis, Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 5(4), 1-6.
LaSala, K.B., Eng, C.R. (2014). Effectiveness of a Child’s Fable on the Cognition of Preschoolers When Used to Address Childhood Obesity, Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 29(6), 547-554
Sprunk, E.A., LaSala, K.B., Wilson, V. L. (2014). Student Incivility: Nursing faculty lived experience. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 4(9), 1-12
LaSala, K.B. (2012). The growth and development of professional nurses, Imprint: The Professional Magazine for Student Nurses, 59(2), 32-34
Birx, E., LaSala, K.B., Wagstaff, M. (2011). Evaluation of a team-building retreat to promote nursing faculty cohesiveness and job satisfaction, Journal of Professional Nursing, 27(3), 174-178
Nelson, J. P., LaSala, K.B., Pederson, L.L., Sandrock, L, Lewis, J. & Hasenbein, J.,(July, 2006). Tri-Service Nursing Research Program, Governmental Document (MDA950-04-010TS08, N04-019): Experiences and patterns of tobacco cessation.
LaSala, K.B., Enzman-Hagedorn, M. (2005). Forging the road before us: The lived experience of mentorship for NP faculty in nursing education, NONPF Mentoring: Ensuring the Future of NP Practice and Education Monograph. October 2005.
Scott, L., LaSala, K.B, Urban-Neil, S., Lyndaker, C.Z. (2003) Smoking cessation practices of rural and urban healthcare providers. Online Journal of Rural Nursing and Health Care, 2(3)
Neil-Urban, S., LaSala, K.B., Todd, S.J. (2002) Community collaboration: Utilizing nursing students in a smoking cessation program for pregnant women. Journal of Nursing Education, 41(2), 76-79
Todd, S.J., LaSala, K.B., Neil-Urban, S. (2001). An integrated approach to prenatal smoking cessation interventions Journal of Maternal-Child Nursing, 26(4), 185-191
Neil-Urban, S., LaSala, K.B., Scott, L. (2001), The state of smoking cessation practices among health care providers: Educational preparation and motivating factors. Journal of Addictions Nursing, 140(2), 14-13
LaSala, K.B., Todd, J.T. (2000). Preventing youth use of tobacco products: The role of nursing. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 26(2), 143-149
LaSala, K.B. (2000). Nursing workforce issues in rural and urban settings: Looking at the differences in recruitment, retention and distribution. On-line Journal of Rural Nursing and Health Care, February 2000, 1(1)