Faculty and Staff
Suzanne M. Sutton, PhD, RN, CNE
|College of Nursing|
College of Nursing
Dr. Sutton began her nursing career as an LPN in the Army more than 30 years ago and has worked in various clinical setting, including maternal-newborn, geriatrics, orthopedics and intensive care units. She has been a nurse educator for 15 years, beginning her teaching career at the University of Tennessee as a graduate teaching assistant. Dr. Sutton has been with the University of South Carolina College of Nursing since 2018.
Dr. Sutton received her BSN from the University of North Carolina-Greensboro in 2003, her MSN in Nursing Administration and Nursing Education from the University of Tennessee in 2007 and her PhD in Nursing from the Medical University of South Caroina in 2016.
Dr. Sutton has extensive experience teaching in undergraduate courses, including pathophysiology, pharmacology, foundations, medical-surgical nursing and evidence-based practice. She partners with fellow faculty to mentor student development in learning strategies and to enhance learning outcomes.
- Development of effective learning strategies in nursing students
- Innovative teaching strategies to enhance critical thinking and clinical judgement
- Nursing education
Oktoberbest, University of South Carolina, COVID Compression: Implementing Rapid Change to meet Student’s Needs (with Laura Herbert), presented 10/9/2020.
Oktoberbest, University of South Carolina, Facilitating Group Active Learning in Mixed Face-to-Face and Virtual Classes (with Eboni Herbert), presented 10/9/2020.
Sutton, S., Jenkins, C., Nemeth, L., Fitzsimmons, K., & Magwood, G. (2016, February). Development and pretesting of a behavioral weight management questionnaire for overweight and obese African American Females. Poster presented at the Southern Nursing Research Society, Williamsburg, VA.
- Alpha Xi Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau, International Honor Society of Nursing, Counselor, 2020 – present, Member, 2019 - 2020
- Diversity, Equality and Inclusivity Committee, College of Nursing, University of South Carolina, 2020 – present
- Clinical Faculty Search Committee, College of Nursing, University of South Carolina, 2020 – present
- Holistic Admission Committee, College of Nursing, University of South Carolina, 2019 – present
- Curriculum Committee, College of Nursing, University of South Carolina, 2019 - present
- Undergraduate Faculty Council, College of Nursing, University of South Carolina, 2019 - present
Sutton, S., Magwood, G., Jenkins, C., & Nemeth, L. (2016). A scoping review of behavioral weight management interventions in overweight/obese African-American females. Western Journal of Nursing Research. doi:10.1177/0193945916635160.
Sutton, S., Magwood, G., Nemeth, L., & Jenkins, C. (2016). Conceptual model of weight management in overweight and obese African American females. Nursing Forum. doi:10.1111/nuf.12165.
Sutton, S, Jenkins, C., Nemeth, L., Fitzsimmons, K., & Magwood, G. (2016, February). Development and pretesting of a behavioral weight management questionnaire for overweight and obese African American Females (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC.
Wittman-Price, R., Reap-Thompson, B., Sutton, S. & Eskew, S. (2012). Nursing concept care maps for safe patient care. Philadelphia: F. A. Davis.
Sutton, S. & Koehler, C. (2011) Nursing process mapping. In Bradshaw. M. J. & Lowenstein A. J. (Eds.) Innovative teaching strategies in nursing and related health professions (5th ed.). Sudbury: Jones and Bartlett Publishers.