Faculty and Staff
|Title:||Emeritus Professor, Mechanical Engineering
Director Emeritus of SmartState Center for Solid Oxide Fuel Cells.
|College of Engineering and Computing|
541 Main Street
Horizon I Building, Room 334
Columbia, SC 29208
Dr. Reifsnider's research and interests include durability, damage tolerance and strength-life relationships in material systems; performance of life prognosis, aging, material state changes, long term behavior; fuel cell science and engineering.
- Ph.D., Metallurgy and Solid Mechanics, Johns Hopkins University, 1968
- M.S.E., Mechanics, Johns Hopkins University, 1965
- B.A., Mathematics, Western Maryland College, 1963
- Reifsnider, K. L., et al. "Multiphysics Design and Development of Heterogeneous Functional Materials for Renewable Energy Devices: The HeteroFoaM Story." Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 160, F470-F481 (2013).
- Reifsnider, K. L., R. Raihan, and Q. Liu. "Rational durability design of heterogeneous functional materials: Some first principles." Mechanics of Composite Materials: 49#1 (2013) 31- 53
- Liu, Q., and K. L. Reifsnider. "Heterogeneous mixtures of elliptical particles: Directly resolving local and global properties and responses." Journal of Computational Physics (2012).
- Reifsnider, K. L., et al. "HeteroFoaMs: Electrode modeling in nanostructured heterogeneous materials for energy systems." Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technology FEBRUARY 9 (2012): 011019-1.
- Du, Yanhai, D. Cui, K. L. Reifsnider and F. Chen. "Startup Characteristics of Propane-Fueled and Thermally Self-Sustained Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Hot Zones." Journal of The Electrochemical Society 159.6 (2012): B723-B728.
- Du, Yanhai, Daan Cui, and Kenneth Reifsnider. "Characterization of Propane-Fueled SOFC Portable Power Systems." Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters 15.5 (2012): B65-B69.
- Liu, Qianlong, and K. L. Reifsnider. "Heterogeneous mixtures of elliptical particles: Directly resolving local and global properties and responses." Journal of Computational Physics (2012).
- Williams, Mark, and K. L. Reifsnider. "Exergetic efficiency as a basis for durability analysis and prognosis."International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 36.16 (2011): 10426-10433.
- Ahmed, Riaz, and K. L. Reifsnider. "Study of Influence of Electrode Geometry on Impedance Spectroscopy."Int. J. Electrochem. Sci 6 (2011): 1159-1174.
- Reifsnider, Kenneth, and Prasun Majumdar. "Material state change relationships to fracture path development for large-strain fatigue of composite materials." Mechanics of Composite Materials 47.1 (2011): 1-10.
- Cui, Daan, Y. Du, K. L. Reifsnider and F. Chen. "One thousand-hour long term characteristics of a propane-fueled solid oxide fuel cell hot zone." Journal of Power Sources 196.15 (2011): 6293-6298.
- Huang, Xinyu, and K. L. Reifsnider. "Durability of PEM fuel cell membranes." Modeling and Diagnostics of Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cells. Springer New York, 2010. 1-43.
- Reifsnider, K. L., et al. "Material state changes as a basis for prognosis in aeronautical structures."Aeronautical Journal 113.1150 (2009): 789-798.
- Fazzino, Paul D., Kenneth L. Reifsnider, and Prasun Majumdar. "Impedance spectroscopy for progressive damage analysis in woven composites." Composites Science and Technology 69.11 (2009): 2008-2014.
- Fazzino, Paul, and Kenneth Reifsnider. "Electrochemical impedance spectroscopy detection of damage in out of plane fatigued fiber reinforced composite materials." Applied Composite Materials 15.3 (2008): 127-138.
- Reifsnider, K., and X. Huang, Engineering durability of micro-miniature fuell cells, Mini-Micro Fuel Cells, 75-86, (2008)