Faculty and Staff
Yuh J. Chao
|Title:||Distinguished Professor Emiritus, Mechanical Engineering
|College of Engineering and Computing|
Dr. Chao's research and interests include theoretical and experimental studies on failure, fracture and fatigue of materials and structures, welding modeling for residual stress and distortion, impact mechanics for material characterization and failure criterion, biomechanics and nanomechanics, and the durability of PEM fuel cell systems.
- Ph.D., University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, 1981
- M.S., National Tsing-Hwa University, Taiwan, 1977
- B.S., National Cheng-Kung University, Taiwan,1975
- PVP Dr. Heki Shibata Outstanding International Technical Session Award, “Applications of Fracture Mechanics in Failure Assessment – II”, developed by A.H. Mourad, Y.J. Chao and P.S. Lam in 2017, awarded at ASME Pressure Vessel and Piping Conference, Prague, 2018.
- John Ducate, Sr. Endowed Chair Professorship, USC, 1996-2013
- Distinguished alumni award, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Natoinal Cheng-Kung University, 2015
- Outstanding Technical Paper Award in ASME Pressure Vessels and Piping Division Conference 2009, Material and Fabrication Technical Committee
- Fellow – Society of American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2006
- B.J. Lazan Award — Society for Experimental Mechanics, 2006
- Hetenyi Award — Society for Experimental Mechanics, 2003
- Fellow — Society for Experimental Mechanics, awarded 2000
- Outstanding Presentation Award at the AeroMat 2000, the 11th Advanced Aerospace Materials and Processes Conference, June 26-29, 2000, Bellevue, Washington, by ASM International
- Research Achievement Award, College of Engineering, USC, 1997
- R.E. Peterson Award — Society for Experimental Mechanics, 1996
- Research Fellow Award, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany, 1991
Cao, Yupeng; Qian, Guian; He, Yinbiao; Niffenegger, Markus; Chao, Yuh J, “Constraint Assessment for Specimens Tested Under Uniaxial and Biaxial Loading Conditions,” ASME Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, 031401-7, Vol. 140, June 2018.
Wang Bo, Zhu Shiyang, Hao Peng, Bi Xiangju, DuKaifan, Chen Bingquan, Ma Xiangtao, Chao Yuh J., “Buckling of quasi-perfect cylindrical shell under axial compression: A combined experimental and numerical investigation,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, 130-131 (2018) 232-247.
Qian, Guian; Cao, Yupeng; Niffenegger, Markus; Chao, Yuh J; Wu, Wenwang, “Comparison of constraint analyses with global and local approaches under uniaxial and biaxial loadings,” European Journal of Mechanics-A/Solids, 69 (2018), 135-146.
Dai, Y., Liu, Y. and Chao, Y.J., “Higher Order Asymptotic Analysis of Crack Tip Fields under Mode II Creeping Conditions,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, 125, 89-107, 2017.
Ao, H Shan, X Cui, Z Luo, YJ Chao, M Ma, “Effect of specimen width on the failure behavior in resistance spot weld tensile shear testing,” Welding in the World, 60(6), 1095-1107, 2016.
Xingjian Liu, Hengshuang Zhao, Guomin Zhan, Kai Zhong, Zhongwei Li, Yuhjin Chao, and Yusheng Shi, “Rapid and automatic 3D body measurement system based on a GPU–Steger line detector,” Applied Optics, 55 (21), July 20, 2016.
Meifang Yu, Zhen Luo, and Y.J. Chao, “Correlations between Charpy V-notch impact energy and fracture toughness of nuclear reactor pressure vessel (RPV) steels,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics 147 (2015) 187–202.