Why Study German?
An undergraduate major or minor in German will give you a head start on the future. In the twenty-first century, unified Germany has become the economic and political leader of the European Union. It is also one of the main partners of the United States in an increasingly internationalized world. Right here in South Carolina, there are over 120 German companies. Aside from preparing you for a career as teacher, translator, or college professor, a BA in German can help prepare you for careers in international business, international law, the Foreign Service, and hospitality and tourism.
- The Gerda Jordan Scholarship
- The Maria Reyes Scholarship
- The Hoechst Scholarship
How to Apply
Submit a sample essay in German that you wrote for a German course at the University of South Carolina. (Submissions will generally be solicited at the start of Spring semester.)
Students who receive the stipends must apply the funds to expenses associated with studying German language and literature at UofSC during the academic year.
Contact Prof. Michael House at email@example.com for more information about Undergraduate Awards in German.
- DAAD Scholarships
- The Rotary Foundation Ambassadorial Scholarships Program
- Council on International Educational Exchange
- CDS International
- The Financial Aid Information Page
National German Honor Society
Our program is home to the Sigma Chapter of the National German Honor Society, Delta Phi Alpha.
To become a member you must have:
- A minimum of two years of college or university German or their equivalent with the attainment of sophomore standing and an official registration in an advanced German course or its equivalent or corresponding advanced placement.
- A minimum grade average of B+ or its equivalent in all German courses taken.
- Indication of continued interest in the study of the German language, literature, and culture.
If you have any questions about Delta Phi Alpha, please contact the faculty adviser, Dr. Kristina Stefanic-Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org.