Family Weekend is the perfect opportunity to learn what your South Carolina student loves about UofSC! This year, we're thrilled to use Family Weekend to kick-off a semester of educational and engagement opportunities for families of UofSC students.
An engaging and educational online Family Weekend
Keep an eye on your inbox! We're celebrating Family Weekend all semester long! Each month, the Family E-News will feature new engagements for you to enjoy with your student. Not receiving our emails? Join the dues-free Parents Association today! The current month's newsletter is also posted to the Parents and Families Gateway.
With the health and safety of our students and families in mind, we have made the decision to host an online Family Weekend in fall 2020. This year, Family Weekend will serve as a kick-off to a semester of educational opportunities to help you connect with your student and their new home away from home. All Family Weekend events will be held online.
Family Weekend is a cherished tradition at the University of South Carolina, and also one of the largest celebrations of its kind in the nation. Taking into consideration guidance from health, safety, and event experts -- we believe this decision is the safest choice for our families. We look forward to building this new experience -- with the top priority of helping families spend quality time with their UofSC student, whether near or far.
- Academic Advising: Did you know, the University Advising Center has a library of videos that answer common questions related to searching and registering for courses? Set aside some time to watch these with your student and talk about their plans for the upcoming semester, prior to their next advising appointment.
- Career Center: Join the Career Center on Sept. 21 for a session designed just for families to learn how to help your student navigate getting involved and building their network at UofSC and beyond. (Registration required.)
- Conversation Kick-Starters: Check out the UofSC Parents app (Conversation Kick-Starters tab) for mini blog posts designed to provide you with talking points to use and campus resources to share when having important conversations with your student.
- Involvement: Take some time to check out Garnet Gate, which houses the complete student organization directory. The university has more than 500 clubs that focus on academics, sports, dance, games, careers and more. Find a few you think your student might enjoy? Encourage them to reach out to the organization's leadership. Students can login and view contacts, events, photos, and more! All they need is their UofSC username and password.
- Off-Campus Living: The Office of Off-Campus Living & Neighborhood Relations has created a 20-minute educational course that can help you and your student better understand how to find housing, off-campus safety, tenant's rights and responsibilities and much more. If your student is considering moving off campus next year, this is a great place to start! Ready to begin the search? Check out these FAQs first.
- Education Abroad: Is your student thinking of pursuing education abroad during their collegiate career? Encourage them to attend the 2020 Education Abroad Virtual Fair on Sept. 22. After the fair, help them reflect on what they learned and what their next steps might be. Have immediate questions? Use the Live Chat feature on the Education Abroad website.
- Parents Annual Fund: Eager to demonstrate your support for the university your student calls home? Consider
a tax-deductible gift to the Parents Annual Fund. Gifts to this fund contribute to programs and services that directly impact University
of South Carolina students and families.
Build your own Family Weekend!
- Pick a new release or a favorite family flick and host a Netflix Party!
- Turn up the tunes on UofSC's Spotify playlists and have a virtual dance off.
- Host your own Family Weekend 5k! Campus is full of pedestrian-friendly routes. Encourage your student to plan their route using our Fit Walk Paths Map [pdf].
- Missing the taste of Carolina? Whip up your own signature tomato pie courtesy of UofSC's McCutchen House.
- Hoping to find a spiritual or religious service to (virtually) attend with your student? Learn more about Spiritual and Religious Life and the registered religious affiliates at UofSC.
- Crank up the cardio! Students and their families can enjoy unlimited free access to Les Mills classes for one month. Additionally, Campus Recreation's Instagram has full workouts saved in their highlights. Pick a class and workout together!
- Snap some photos of your family pet(s) or your student's favorite hometown hangout and share them with your student via text or email.
- Drop a postcard or a care package in the mail as a personalized surprise for your favorite Gamecock.
- Just because you aren't on campus doens't mean you can't enjoy the views! Download video conference backgrounds from some of our favorite central campus spots. It's the next best thing to a selfie on the Horseshoe!