Leadership and Service Center & Office of Multicultural Student Affairs
The Student Leadership and Diversity Conference (SLDC) is an opportunity for students and staff from institutions across the Southeast to network and explore important issues in diversity and student leadership. With access to more than 30 educational sessions and keynote speakers, SLDC trains and educates participants in:
- Essential leadership skills for a diverse society
- Developing a leadership identity
- Creating initiatives and methods to foster sustainable positive change
- Maximizing their student leadership experience
The SLDC Planning Committee consists of professional staff representation from the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs and the Leadership and Service Center as well as 2 student Peer Leaders
To be shared with student co-director
- Assist in the planning of SLDC.
- Serve as an SLDC Committee Member.
- Attend regular committee meetings.
- Work with a professional staff member to research keynote speaker options and create recommendations for the committee and other stakeholders to consider.
- Alongside a professional staff member or graduate assistant, coordinate conference logistics which could include food, giveaways, or other areas of need.
- Oversee student volunteer program through selection, volunteer training, and day of logistics.
- Create and implement a marketing plan to create awareness of the conference and lead to registrations of UofSC students.
- Represent the planning committee on the day of the conference through serving as an emcee and as a host to keynote speaker(s) and/or other university officials.
- Other duties as assigned.
As a result of serving as an SLDC Student Coordinator, students will:
- Enhance their communication and teamwork skills
- Develop event planning and execution skills
- Continue to develop marketing and outreach skills
- Gain experience in peer leadership
- Establish positive relationships with staff members and campus partners
- Must be available for in-person or skype meetings throughout the summer
- Must be available the weekend of SLDC February 2021
- Must maintain a cumulative GPA requirement for graduation and remain in good standing with your college and the university
- Must be available to meet weekly or bi-weekly beginning Fall 2020 for SLDC Committee meetings
Additional Note: All applicants will be asked to agree to a conduct record review process
Plan your day.
|Check-In and Continental Breakfast||9 - 9:55 a.m.|
|Opening Session and Keynote||10 - 10:50 a.m.|
|Educational Session 1||11 - 11:55 a.m.|
|Lunch or Interactive Session Part 1||12:05 - 12:50 p.m.|
|Lunch or Interactive Session Part 2||1 - 1:45 p.m.|
|Educational Session 2||1:55 - 2:50 p.m.|
|Educational Session 3||3 - 3:55 p.m.|
|Closing Session||4:05 - 4:25 p.m.|
All conference activities are held in the Russell House University Union on the University of South Carolina campus in Columbia, SC.
Yes, there are a number of excellent hotels in the area. Some even offer a special rate if you're visiting the campus, so be sure to ask when you call for reservations.
SLDC takes place in the Russell House University Union, located at 1400 Greene St. in Columbia, SC. Car and van parking for the conference is available in the Bull Street Garage located behind the Russell House. Visitors should enter through Gate 3. Buses may drop conference participants off in front of the Russell House and can then park in the Barnwell Street lots.
Changing my registration
All attendee information should be finalized prior to submitting conference registration. Should changes in the attendee information need to occur, this will be permitted until Jan. 30, however, a $5 processing fee per changed attendee will be assessed.
Cancelling my registration
Registration refunds will be made for written cancellations received up to the registration deadline - Jan. 30, less a $5 processing fee per attendee. After that date no refunds will be made. If payment is not received by Jan. 30, your registration will be cancelled. Please direct questions and notices about registrations or cancellations to Ryan Patterson, Assistant Director of the Leadership and Service Center, email@example.com.