Student Org COVID-19 Info
The university is committed to creating a safe and engaging student experience. There are many possibilities for student organizations to bring students together and host gatherings (meetings, events, and activities) safely on and off campus. For any gathering, enter the planning process knowing your goals, work with your venue to bring your ideas to life, and create your marketing and risk management plans accordingly.
- Stay up to date with all university Covid-19 information.
- Review the student organization safety guidelines PDF for on and off-campus meetings, events, and activities.
- Connect with a Leadership and Service Center staff member to brainstorm and discuss how you can safely continue the purpose of your student organization.
- Reach out to Jamie Ayres who most directly coordinates student organization resources and opportunities on campus.
Log in to Garnet Gate to check out the complete student organization directory. The university has more than 500 clubs that focus on academics, sports, dance, games,
careers and more. All you need is your University of South Carolina username and password (the same one you use for Blackboard).
If you can't find an organization that matches your interest and think it might be a club other students would enjoy, we can help you through the process of starting a new organization.
Do you need to ... ?
We make it easy for campus leaders to keep up with your organization's details. Remember that whenever your leadership or constitution changes, you must submit it for approval by the Leadership and Service Center to ensure your organization is fully compliant with all student organization policies.
Use the 25Live reservation system to request use of facilities managed by the Russell House. Get complete details on making a space reservation. If you have questions or need help, call 803-777-7127 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Leadership and Service Center checks officer eligibility. If an officer doesn't meet the requirements he or she will be removed and the organization will be notified.
Only current officers of an organization can update officers in Garnet Gate. To update officers:
- Log into Garnet Gate using your personal South Carolina username and password.
- Find your organization in the Action Center.
- Go into the Roster tab on your Garnet Gate page and update your roster with your new officers. (If you’re unsure on how to update, visit the Documents section of our Garnet Gate page and review How to Change Your Officers.
Per university policy, only Associated Student Organizations can have University Advisors
Registered Student Organizations are no longer required to maintain constitutions but are encouraged to maintain guiding documents for their organizations.
Associated Student Organizations are required to maintain a constitution which meets the requirements set forth by the Leadership and Service Center. All Associated Student Organization constitutions must be reviewed and approved by the Leadership and Service Center before becoming official. If your organization is an Associated Student Organization, please submit your updated constitution for review.
In order to submit a name change for your organization, you must:
• Vote and have the approval of your student organization for the name change
To change the name of your organization:
- Complete the Student Organization Name Change Request Form, and don't forget to include the rationale for the name change.
- Update your organization’s constitution with the new name.
Once you’ve submitted your completed materials and request, the Leadership and Service Center will review it and notify you if the change has been accepted or if further information is needed.
To help you make fully informed choices about joining student organizations at the University of South Carolina, we provide a report on organizational conduct violations dating back to 2011.