Faculty and Staff
Scott Sutton, Pharm.D.
|Title:||Chair / Clinical Pharmacy and Outcomes Sciences
|College of Pharmacy|
Dr. Sutton is a clinical professor at the College of Pharmacy in the Department of Clinical Pharmacy and Outcomes Sciences and a clinical pharmacist at the WJB Dorn Veterans Affairs (VA) Medical Center who specializes in medicine and infectious diseases. He was named the 2013 recipient of the University of South Carolina Clinical Practice Teaching Award, honoring his philosophy of teaching, involvement in clinical teaching and practice and advising and mentoring of health science students (see list of other awards on his vita). Funded grants are in the areas of pharmacoepidemiology (prostate cancer, cardiovascular), HIV, pharmacokinetics, and MRSA in collegiate football players (see full list of funded grants on his vita). Along with numerous publications (see link to full vita), Sutton also has a textbook published by McGraw Hill. Naplex Review Guide by S. Scott Sutton. Sutton SS. Naplex Review Guide 1st edition. New York, McGraw-Hill. 2011.
- medication use (effectiveness and safety)
- infectious diseases
- standardized exams
- Rao GA, Mann JR, Shoabi A, Sutton SS, Bennett CL, Bottai M, Haddock KS, Herbert J. Relationship between angiotensin receptor blockers and lung cancer: Are they related to lung cancer? J Hypertens 2013;31(8):1669-1675.
- Sutton SS, Rao GA, Hardin J, Norris LB, Bennett CL. Transition of care and treatment outcomes for hormone refractory prostate cancer. Manuscript in development. (abstract submitted and accepted at ASCO – summer 2013). Fall 2013.
- Love B, Sutton SS, Hardin J, Rao GA, Sarbah S. Prevalence and treatment outcomes in African-American Veterans with chronic hepatitis B infection. Manuscript in development. Spring 2104.
- Dunn B, Rao GA, Sutton SS. Comparative effectiveness of chlorthalidone versus hyrdochlorthiazide within a Veteran Affairs population: A national cohort study. Manuscript in development. Spring 2014.
- Sutton SS, Rao GA. Assessing hematologic toxicity of vancomycin: A national observational analysis of Veterans. Manuscript in development. Spring 2014.
- Bookstaver PB, Enoch CB, Sutton SS. Biostatistics training through the eyes of residency program directors Annals of Pharmacotherapy 2013;47(5):759-60.
- Sutton SS, Stacy JJ, Mensch J, Torres-McGehee T, Bennett CL. Tackling community acquired methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA) in collegiate football players following implementation of an anti-MRSA program. Br J Sports Med 2013; Feb 16:1-2.
- Sutton SS, Parker W, Bookstaver PB. Evaluating the effect of population based volume of distribution and estimated glomerular filtration rate models on elimination rate constant (ke) in predicting serum vancomycin concentrations. Manuscript in development. Fall 2103.
- Sutton SS, Parker W, Hyche S, Bookstaver PB. Evaluating target attainment of vancomycin area under the curve in a Veteran population. Manuscript in development. Fall 2103.
- Bookstaver PB, Bland C, Custer A, Miller A, Sutton SS. Antibiotic management for osteomyelitis due to MRSA. Submitted to Pharmacotherapy. Revisions under review.
- Sutton SS, Dunn B, Bennett CL. Cardiovascular outcomes of Veteran patients receiving clopidogrel and proton pump inhibitors. Manuscript in development. Spring 2014.
- Crawford ED, Moul JW, Sutton SS, Poston S, Kreup E, Hardin J. Assessing prostate cancer risk factors: A Veteran's Administration Analysis. Submitted to the Journal of Urology. Decision pending.
- Sutton SS, Rao G, Bland C. Sepsis and Septic Shock. In: Chisholm-Burns MA, Wells BG, Schwinghammer TL, et al. Pharmacotherapy Principles & Practice, 3rd ed. McGraw-Hill. 2013;1411-1423.